Adult beginner

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by brassmachine19, Jan 11, 2013.

1. brassmachine19

brassmachine19 New Friend

Nov 16, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    What material/books/studies do you use for older beginners? Have a student who has almost completed the first book of the Essential Elements 2000 series (was studying own his own before he contacted me for lessons) and wasn't too sure if I wanted to continue with the same series or move to something different. Just curious what anyone else uses.

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    To my knowledge there is no quick method to achieve performance quality on any musical instrument. I've 4 6th graders I'm turoring in their second year of trumpet now beginning the fourth book of Essential Elements while in school they continue on the second book. Still, this past Christmas they performed a simplified 4 part rendition I prepared of O Little Town of Bethlehem at the caroling here. Given so little, how can any of us on TM assess what would be best for your student?

3. Satchmo Brecker

Satchmo Brecker Piano User

Jul 19, 2010
    I'm no expert and certainly no teacher, but having done self-study as an adult, I'd say ANY series is good. The real trick is to keep going steady with any series. But also you shouldn't hesitate to throw in stuff not in the book. My kid takes guitar and doesn't even have a book. The teacher xeroxes individual pages to go along with where he's at skill level-wise.

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I can't say I'm thrilled with the published methods, but I do augment these with what I consider appropriate for the students, if only to stimulate their continued interest. What I find absent in self taught methods is ear training and to this extent I feel such deters memorization. Should I ask a student to play 3 different Bbs, there remains the question of do they know what I'm asking for, thus I must phrase my question in a form that by maturity they'll understand or I've given them the precedent of such.

Now quickly turn away and play what I asked for.

5. BinaryHulledIon

BinaryHulledIon Piano User

Nov 23, 2012
    Spartanburg, SC
    Depends on if you mean those Bb's to be in concert pitch :p

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Just play them as you would on your Blessing ML1-G with the Bb trumpet music in front of you. I'm not tutoring for a piano player, but if I were as a clue they are all black keys, but a piano has more than 3 in it's range. Yep, a Bb on a Bb trumpet is a C on a piano, the latter as plays in concert pitch (if it is tuned well).

Last edited: Jan 11, 2013
  7. BinaryHulledIon

BinaryHulledIon Piano User

Nov 23, 2012
    Spartanburg, SC
    I thought you said you weren't going to give me any lessons :D

(And, as I was holding my horn when I'd read that, I went ahead and belted them out anyways)

8. Sharvey

Sharvey Pianissimo User

Dec 25, 2012
    Australia
    I am. A self taught adult. I used the old Salvation Army red primer to learn to play Tuba. The only thing it didn't teach me was how to hold the instrument. I turned up to play at church holding the tuba the wrong way round. The band master was not impressed. A

9. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    I was a complete adult beginner. I never used the essential elements method. I was started with H. Clarke's "Elementary Studies" closely followed by the "Technical Studies", in conjonction with Vannetelbosch's "Le Debutant Trompetiste", the Balay method and Arban method. Arban was the one introduced last. Since then I've been exposed to the Bordogni vocalises, Kopprasch, Rubank duets, David Huber contemporary brass etudes and more. It helps to have a good teacher to navigate the litterature.

10. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    I avoid studies and method books. Instead, with the agreement of the student that they will not be the next Maurice Andre or Doc Severinsen etc, we use music (melodies and songs) to develop all aspects of playing.