Adult beginner

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by brassmachine19, Jan 11, 2013.

1. cantplaytrumpet

cantplaytrumpet Pianissimo User

Apr 2, 2012
    Sorry if I'm getting the wrong end of the stick, it's a horrible habit of mine. But isn't a Bb on a Bb trumpet an Ab on piano. :p

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Ivan, Were it not rather expected by the parents, I too feel that melodies and songs selected with progression are much more inspiring than method books and afford a more perceptive view of ultimate goals, yet still contain all the elements one needs to pursue accomplishment. To me, the rest is note values, tempo, chromatic scale and notations.

Why I do not feel that I ever needed Herbert Clark's books is that I was originally taught by Dr. Walter H. Cameron who had played cornet with Sousa and Ringling Brothers and I learned when very few publications were available during WWII.

In college it seemed the method was more directed towards whatever field or stage performance was the professor's immediate goal, and this I perceive in current high school band direction as well.

3. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Thankfully, as this is an adult beginner, we do not have to deal with the unrealistic expectations of ambitious parents. Just get him/her playing music.

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I don't play a piano, but middle C on the ledger line between the treble and bass clef (a concert instrument), the Bb on the piano is the next lower black key or 2 semi-tones (half steps) lower. Thus, to play a concert C on a Bb instrument we would play a D 2 semi-tones higher vis transposing. How I wrote of it, is to compare the native tones between a C and a Bb instruments. Perhaps for clarification I should have put the word "as between "is" and "a". Note: the D is still on music for a C instrument otherwise in the space below the staff or the line above C2 still on music for a C instrument. To complete transposition from C music to Bb music one must also add 2 sharps to the key signature thus the Key of Bb for the C instrument (two flats) would have neither sharps or flats for a Bb trumpet. Still, no where does an Ab enter this discussion.