Adventures with my 5 year old - new video

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by samsplace, Jul 12, 2009.

1. samsplace

samsplace New Friend

Jul 9, 2009
    He had his first lesson on Saturday. It was very helpful for my dh and I to learn a few things on how to help him, but probably not a good fit of a college student to work with a five year old. We will keep actively looking for a teacher that will be able to communicate well with him.

This is video we took tonight. The song is well into the book we are using, but it was the one he picked out and wanted (more like demanded) to play after listening to the CD that goes with the book. He has been practicing it for exactly one week.

I can't say enough how much I appreciated the information in my other thread. I have been so lost on where to begin and if we were making a big mistake by letting him get started.

If anyone has suggestions on classical trumpet music/musicians that I should let him listen to, I would appreciate the suggestions. I now have several jazz options we have purchased or have loaded on Pandora, but I want to improve the classical list. THanks!

YouTube - Cossak dance

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    My suggestion is to NOT get carried away. Just have him play what the teacher says and build standard fundementals that will get the proper habits solid (scales, slurs, articulation exercizes). It is WAY too early to think about "jazz" or "classical" training.

All music is important for children. Just selected "trumpet" music will limit their develeopment and scope.

At his age, even melodies from cartoons would be useful! Let him figure that out himself - if he wants to.

3. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    I don't think its being a college student so much that didn't work as it is personalities , try different teachers, especially at your son's age the teacher and student should have a chemistry together so that the lesson's are something to look forward to for both.

4. samsplace

samsplace New Friend

Jul 9, 2009
    Trust me, we are keeping it as light as possible. You didn't mention if you watched the video, but the second half is just a small segment of all of the giggling that went on as our entire family sat together last night while our son entertained us.

I am pretty sure if you asked my son his favorite song, he would tell you Cotton Eyed Joe, so we are listening to lots of variety. They go to bed every.single.night with a kids Christmas cd that we put on in desperation one night when my oldest was nearly two and was afraid of the noise in her room. If I would have realized that would be the "it" cd for all three kids for the next decade to come, I would have chosen differently LOL!! Joy to the world....

As I have researched trumpet this week and spent time reading some on this forum, I have come to realize that there is some incredible music that I have never been exposed to, and thus am trying to fill in some holes in our iTunes library. I, myself, find that I prefer the classical trumpet to jazz, but the names of jazz greats seem much easier to come by.

While I can easily see how my question could be misunderstood as us forcing everything trumpet on our son, this couldn't be further from the truth. I will confess, this no tv watching, chicken raising, book reading, instrument playing family doesn't look much like the 'normal' American family. In the wise words of Dave Ramsey "normal is broke" so we aren't really striving for normal around here. Our evening last night was spent reading Mrs. Piggle Wiggle and giggling over the trumpet, it just doesn't get much better than that!

I probably didn't write that in the best form. It was not the fact that he was a college student, it was the fact that he could not communicate on a five year old level. I believe there are college students that could be great with a young child, but you are exactly correct that good chemistry is the key.

5. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    If you have a public library in your neighborhood, that may be a great source of classical (and jazz) music on CD. Anything you really like can be ripped to your mp3 library to listen to in the future. If you can, get your son a library card and have him help select the music (as well as books).

Good for you for the early, balanced, encouragement!

veery

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Samsplace,
    your boy is pretty lucky! If you are looking to get a cross section of incredible stuff, here are some things that should be present in my opinion:
    Niklas Eklund: the Art of the Baroque Trumpet - there are several. It doesn't matter which one that you get.
    Wynton Marsalis: An American Hero - one of his "early" recordings, still one of my favorites
    Maynard Ferguson: Chameleon - an absolute classic!
    Blood, Sweat & Tears: Blood, Sweat and Tears - with Spinning Wheel, When I die and Lucretia McEvil
    Timofey Dokshizer: Fantastic Dances
    Arturo Sandoval: Hot House
    Louis Armstrong: Ella and Louis
    Al Hirt: Best of Al Hirt
    Rafael Méndèz: Magnificent Mendez or Trumpet Solos Extraordinary
    Urban Agnas: Girafflåtar för småfolk - incredible stuff for children!

So there is really a ton more and this cannot be considered a "best of", rather as a "must have". Have fun!

7. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    What a great video. He's got the basics of blowing and tonguing down. These are very important to start with. I like the idea of using a guitar stand to help him hold the trumpet. very ingenious. As a teacher with 40 years experience, I would love to work with a child like your son. So don't let his age keep you from checking out older more experienced teachers. Your approch looks good. Keep it light. He probaby only needs a short 30 minute lesson every so often. Once you find a teacher let him decide how often he wants to go. For music to listen to, it doesn't need to be all trumpet music. In addition to recordings of simple songs for children his age, he might like some Mozart symphonies. Young students tend to like his music. Also I would just have music, classical, jazz and some early pop music like Herb Alpert and Al hirt just playing around the house. Pick stuff that you like and he'll respond. Children pay attention to what their parents like. My grandmother loved opera and played it all time time when she would babysit when I was your son's age. To this day I love opera. :play:

8. vntgbrslvr

vntgbrslvr Piano User

Oct 10, 2008
    Waukesha, Wisconsin
    Oh No!...Does that mean I'm destined to love Neil Diamond, and Abba??!!!!!!!

:shock:

9. Graham

Graham Pianissimo User

Jun 8, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    Sounding pretty good for a 5 year old, I must say. He really seems like he's enjoying himself in this video, which is VERY important.

We naturally gravitate towards doing our best at things we love to do, so it's important that the notion of "trumpet time = fun time" is instilled and nurtured in these early stages.

I hope he keeps up the good work!

10. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Of course - you know down deep already that you love them - you just need to come out of the closet and admit it.