Adventures with my 5 year old - new video

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by samsplace, Jul 12, 2009.

1. samsplace

samsplace New Friend

Jul 9, 2009
    Thank you so much! This is exactly the kind of list that I was wishing for.

2. samsplace

samsplace New Friend

Jul 9, 2009
    I think a teacher with 40 years experience is exactly what I hope we can find! If you have any friends in the Dallas area I would love to talk to them. We will be meeting with a professor of trumpet at a nearby university when he returns to the area at the end of summer. In the meantime, I am continuing the search for a teacher. I am glad you mention non-weekly lessons because that is what I was hoping for, but wasn't sure if there were teachers willing to take on a student this way.

Yesterday I was busy preparing dinner so he sat down with his CD and began playing the songs based on what he was hearing. Until that point, I had been telling him the notes that make up the songs he wanted to play. I will be working on teaching him to read music. He really is just amazing us and while I absolutely am not interested in turning him into a little prodigy, I don't want to waste the moment.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Samsplace,
    if your boy builds good habits now, his playing will grow proportionally to his body size. They all take off musically in puberty if the groundwork was reasonably laid down.

4. Trumpet Dad

Trumpet Dad Pianissimo User

Jun 20, 2008
    New Jersey, USA
    I wish I could play that well.... at my age:oops:

5. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    While I do give web cam lessons, Your son needs someone who can just sit beside him and let him play along with them. More of a trumpet play time.