Advice about Cornet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bcdap, Jun 8, 2009.

1. bcdap

bcdap New Friend

Jun 7, 2008
    Toronto
    I recently started playing with a pretty good concert band where the trumpet section is all playing Cornet. I have the use of a Yamaha cornet that is quite good but I am constantly having to drain the water that builds up. I'm looking to get something else and I tried a Besson at the store. Does anyone know if the Besson horn has the same issue with water build up?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tim
    Toronto ON

2. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Many people find that they produce more "water" on cornet than trumpet, no matter what the brand. I don't know why, though. Any way you could go to the store and play the Besson a while to evaluate water buildup?

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Ummm, trumpets and cornets are out of metal and therefore are pretty much immune to creating fluids that have to be relieved.

Water build up in a horn comes from two places: spitting while playing and the moisture in our breath condensing on the tubes of the horn. Regular practice reduces the former, keeping the horn warm, the latter. I am not aware of any horn with a so massive condensation build up that they become hard to play. I am aware of quite a few underdeveloped embouchures that "spit" more than "normal". Any type of player can take measures to keep the horn warm!

4. sparxIII

sparxIII New Friend

Nov 1, 2003
    Toronto ON Canada
    bcdap,

The Besson would not be my 1st. choice for a cornet to use in a concet band.

Have you considered a LB Bach, Yamaha Xeno or XA1 ?

These cornets along with a Sparx -soloist- series mps. will work very well in a concert band.

Cheers,
    sparx
    SparxMusic.com - Cornet Mouthpieces and Brass Accessories

5. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    I have been playing over 50 yrs and have always had a large amount of spit/water expelled in the many horns I have and have had, just my physiology, I guess. I have noticed a more quicker build up to a gurgling point on my cornets no matter what the make. Why, I don't know. May be in the wrap some how as it is a rounder loop from the leader pipe then a trumpet. Have fun in the band no matter which cornet you play.:thumbsup:

6. walldaja

walldaja Pianissimo User

Feb 25, 2008
    Kokomo, IN
    I doubt different manufacturer's horns would produce a difference in the amount of water that builds up. I believe it is mostly a product of the humidity of the room and temperature of both the horn, the room, and you.

That said, a larger bore horn may be less affected by the same amount of water build up because the tubing is of larger diameter.

7. gsmonks

gsmonks Piano User

What you're pouring out of a horn is water, and different horns produce different amounts of condensation. As a general rule, the thinner the metal and the softer the alloy, the greater the amount of condensation.

Players using both US-made and European made horns have long noticed this, especially trombone players in German orchestras that use thin-metal soft-alloy horns, as opposed to US horns like Conn and King whose horns' metal is thicker and harder.