Advice - Bb conversion slides for C trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ajbdownunder, Jan 1, 2008.

1. ajbdownunder

ajbdownunder New Friend

Dec 19, 2007
    I have a Bach Chicago C and am thinking about getting the Bb conversion slides. Does anyone have any advice on the subject or know the approximate cost?

I also have a Bach Bb trumpet but it has been 'adopted' by my son!

Thanks, AJB

2. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    Don't bother with conversion slides. Buy a real Bb.

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Better than the conversion slides is transposition. It is good for the brain, and stops the player (or student) next to you copying your fingering dead in their tracks--always fun!

4. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    My teacher did that to me once back in high school. We were doing scales and Clarke studies, and I really had neither down. He showed me.

5. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I had a set of C to Bb slides for my C Strad trumpet. The intonation is pretty squirrley with them - I wouldn't waste the money. New, they will cost you around $650 (discounted price), a few hundred dollars less than a good used Bb trumpet, so I'd just buy a Bb horn. In fact, that's what I did. I bought a Bb Strad and sold the slides on eBay a year or two ago.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 2, 2008
    administrator likes this.
  6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Forget about making a trumpet something that it isn't.

A C-trumpet is not a Bb with shorter slides. It is a creation in itself. The leadpipe on a C is much shorter and the taper is optimised for that key. Adding longer slides screws the proportions up and there is no hope for success. If saving money is the reason that you are considering this, look for a used Bb, that has a very good chance for success!

administrator likes this.
  7. cornetguy

cornetguy Mezzo Forte User

Sep 12, 2005
    Saint Paul, MN
    I have a set and tried them once. It was interesting yeah that's it intersting. I am planning on turning them into pencil holder or something else. I second and third and what ever the statement go buy a new or used Bb.

8. ajbdownunder

ajbdownunder New Friend

Dec 19, 2007
    Thanks all for your responses. I'll be taking your advise and forget the Bb slides (very expesive pencil holders!). I'll have a go at transposing and will look for a second Bb when the time is right.