Advice for a beginner

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Martin_UK, Jun 4, 2006.

1. Martin_UK

Martin_UK New Friend

Jun 4, 2006
    London, UK
    Hello!

I woke up this morning and decided I will learn to play the trumpet. No clue why, but I will do it anyway. I know absolutely nothing at all about trumpets so I spent a few mins doing some research and my currect strategy is to buy a trumpet, buy a copy of a book that sounded popular/definitive - "Arban's Complete Conservatory Method for Trumpet" - and start learning to play.

At the moment, I want to decide which trumpet to buy, and make sure I am getting the right book for learning. It seems that a Bb trumpet is the most common so I will probably get one of those.

Who makes the best trumpets? Perhaps it's a matter of personal taste, but when speaking about pianos for example, some manufacturers stand above the others in quality/reputation, like Steinway/Bechstein/Bosendorfer etc.

Does anyone have a better idea for a book to learn with?

Is there any other advice you can offer?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Martin

2. Trumpeters_Lullaby

Trumpeters_Lullaby New Friend

Apr 10, 2006
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Hey Martin! And welcome to TM. For your first trumpet I would reccomend a simple student model. No use in spending all this money if you end up hating the instrument. Yamaha makes some great student models in my opinion and are not too pricy. Books like "Arban's.." will be helpfull but you have to remember to start slow. It is a hard instrument to learn. If you really like the trumpet after playing for a little while I would also reccomend that you find some private lessons. A good teacher teacher could really help you and push you farther then you ever thought. I hope you enjoy the trumpet, and stick around here. You'll meet some pretty cool people.

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Welcome to the community! (You'll meet some not so nice people too, but for the most part trumpeters are way cooler than viola players!)

Most entry level trumpets have good acoustic properties these days:ask someone to show you how to oil the valves and grease the slides and clean what ever horn you pick up.

The Arban's is considered "the bible" for most trumpeters, but like the King James Bible it can be pretty dry and stuffy. You might want to go with one of the beginning band method books--you get to play more tunes earlier, and get the foundation you need to attack Arban.

Don't forget to listen to great trumpet players. You will unconsciously start playing like your "heros." (Ask anyone who learned the Haydn Concerto by listening to Al Hirt's recording with the Boston Pops for some stories on what not to do.)

Above all, have a blast!

4. Martin_UK

Martin_UK New Friend

Jun 4, 2006
    London, UK
    Thanks a lot for those replies!! I'm sick at the moment :-( Which has slowed things down a little. I'm still reading every piece of info I can get my hands on and when I'm fully recovered I'll get my 1st trumpet!! Every new thing I learn brings about 25 new questions I want to ask :D

Thanks again

Martin

5. K.Buck

K.Buck New Friend

Sep 25, 2005
    Virginia
    Good web site!

If you need a good web site to look for trumpets I would try www.wwbw.com. I used it when I got my second trumpet and still use it when I need supplies. About the Arbans book, they also make an Arbans book that has a CD with it.(It's silver or something) I have always fould it useful to listen to something before I play it.

-Good Luck :play:

"Preserve your passion for music, and music will preserve your passion for life."