Advice for a poor fool

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by djserrant, Dec 13, 2008.

1. djserrant

djserrant New Friend

Dec 13, 2008
    Florida
    Hi all,

I'm new to TrumpetMaster forumn. I've noticed that whenever I play long music, in particular ones without long measures of rest, that my tone quality thins out over time eventually becoming very airy. In the past, I thought this was because I didn't have enough air, but recenty I believe it is because I don't have alot of endurance. Am I correct? What suggestions do you have if I am?

Also, it's been recommended alot on many trumpet websites that I learn how to lip buzz without the mouthpiece in order to improve my tone quality, endurance, and range. I've been practicing my lip buzz for about week now. However when I try to lip buzz into my trumpet, it's very uncomfortable. Furthermore, I'm unable to get any higher or lower octaves. I'm probably not doing it right. I've read on one website that trumpet players who don't know how to lip buzz usually have to push their horn against thier lips to go higher octaves. I'm able to get up to a double C and sometimes a little higher, but I don't believe I'm pushing the trumpet onto my lips. What do you all suggest?

2. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    Welcome to TM. By double C what do you mean? The first C above the staff or the C above that. If it's the C above the C above the staff you have plenty of range. My first feeling is air and support. Are you taking a good deep breath? Are you playing too long on one breath? Are you using the diaphragm? We can not rectify this over the internet because we can not see or hear you play. The best thing you could do to help yourself is get to a good private teacher. If you have a university in your area I would find out who the trumpet teacher is and get with them.

3. Snorglorf

Snorglorf Pianissimo User

Nov 13, 2008
    If you posted a video of you playing I'm sure everyone could help more.

4. BrassOnLine

BrassOnLine Piano User

Nov 22, 2007
    Spain
    Maybe there's is too much lip pressure, which doesn't allow blood to circulate as usually and lips get rough and airy.

5. djserrant

djserrant New Friend

Dec 13, 2008
    Florida
    When I say double C, I mean the C above the staff. I will post some pictures and a video of me playing soon.

6. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    Get a H.L.Clarke Technical Studies book and work on the first study. Play very quietly.
    Work on playing for longer stretches. Try to play the studies using the mouthpiece.
    Go slow.
    Wilmer

7. Trumpet Dad

Trumpet Dad Pianissimo User

Jun 20, 2008
    New Jersey, USA
    Whenever my tone starts to thin out, my teacher will have me buzz the etude on the mouthpiece in a comfortable register. It has a rejuvenating effect on my tone.

8. The Dutch Guy

The Dutch Guy Piano User

Sep 22, 2008
    Netherlands
    that isn't double C. that C is known as high C. the C in the staff if know as middle C, and the one below the staff is low C. right now there is a topic about the names of certain notes going on on the forum. you might want to check it out, as there are several different ways of naming notes in there.
    I give just give them numbers. C1 being the low C, C2 being middle C ect.

If you can hit high C easily there isn't much wrong with your range (but there is room for improvement, obviously). when I play long pieces without any rest, my lips tend to slip out of position. taking 5 seconds of rest and drying the mouthpiece usually solves this problem for me.

9. djserrant

djserrant New Friend

Dec 13, 2008
    Florida
    Hey guys,

I posted two videos on youtube of me playing. The first one shows me warming up with some scales. You will notice that I'm was struggling to get up to the high notes, namely high C.
    YouTube - Crappy Warmup

On the second video, I'm playing a piece. You will see that my tone gets airy later on in the music.

I hope this helps
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0X5hIDyA78

10. Snorglorf

Snorglorf Pianissimo User

Nov 13, 2008
    lift that trumpet up son!