Advice for a poor fool

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by djserrant, Dec 13, 2008.

1. djserrant

djserrant New Friend

Dec 13, 2008
    Florida
    Yeah, I really need to buy a music stand

2. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    Man, you got nads, I wouldn't post myself here for the wolves for big bucks! Good for you! :-)

3. The Dutch Guy

The Dutch Guy Piano User

Sep 22, 2008
    Netherlands
    get a decent music stand. a big one that doesn't easily fall down. try to hold your trumpet allmost horizontally, and don't press your elbows against your body, but keep them in a 45 degree angle (or somewhere near that). that should make things a lot easier. also, don't sit, but stand.

I looks like you are pressing the trumpet against your lips really hard. is that true? don't do that. It might work now, but once you want to get better it's going to hinder your play a lot.

do you have a trumpet teacher? he/she should teach you exacly how to do it. Trying to learn how to play the trumpet without a teacher is probably the worst thing you can do if you've never played a brass intrument before.

how long have you been playing? the first few years are allways hard.

hope that helps

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    without even looking at the video, your head belongs OVER the spine not in front of it.
    Check this link:

David G. Monette Corporation

we don't need to start with advanced stuff when the basics are not even covered.

After learning to stand or sit up straight, breathing is the next step. Do a search on "circle of breath" to get started.

You need to find a teacher that pays more attention to YOU and your body use. That stuff helps you play better without having to practice more!!!!!

5. djserrant

djserrant New Friend

Dec 13, 2008
    Florida
    Thanks for the posts. I played trumpet throughout my 6th, 7th, and 8th grade middle school years. I was a member of the middle school band and had instruction from my teacher on proper posture. It was THEN when I really did sit up straight and held my trumpet up. Some of the posts reminded me of how I was poked fun of by one other person in my section because I was always sitting at the edge of my seat and never in a sloughed position like he was. I was considered one of the best then but even still I felt frustrated at times because I couldn't play as well as I wanted to. After middle school I went to high school that didn't have a band so I was unable to receive further instruction. For some time during my first year in high school I played on my own without instruction but I eventually put my trumpet away due to an increased amount of workload from school. I rarely played after that and with my unwillingness to purchase a stand or find a teacher (don't really think I can afford one) I guess these bad habits developed as a result. Now I'm in college and I play 2nd chair in the college pep band. The problem is is that the pep band is student run and not part of the athletic department so there really isn't any teacher in the band that can help me. Though I will look around because there are some faculty on campus that I believe plays an instrument. My playing is decent and doesn't cause much problems during the performances, nor do any one in the band have any problems with my playing besides two separate occasions when I played too loud. But whether it's a problem with the band or not, I know that I can be playing better than this and I want to get better.

6. Bloomin Untidy Musician

Bloomin Untidy Musician Piano User

Jan 14, 2008
    Staffordshire
    First of all you are not a poor fool. We have all been there at one point or other. My feeling on what i heard is that you need to think more musically about your sound. Spend time considering all the excellent technical advice that you have already received, and put it within a meaningful, musical context. Find a simple slow tune with lots of long measures in it that you like and make it sing. A hymn, or something like that is good practice. Most importantly, don't try to run before you can walk; forget about range issues and concentrate on sound and musicality. You will find as your sound improves that your range will increase automatically anyway!

Merry Christmas

B.U.M.

7. Bloomin Untidy Musician

Bloomin Untidy Musician Piano User

Jan 14, 2008
    Staffordshire
    By the way there is lots of free hymn music on the internet.

8. djserrant

djserrant New Friend

Dec 13, 2008
    Florida
    Any books out there that I should consider buying?

9. et_mike

et_mike Mezzo Forte User

Oct 16, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    If you don't own an Arban's you should pick one up... there is a lifetime of music in one of those. Not to mention invaluable lessons. I always make sure the kids I work with also have a copy of Clarkes Techinical studies and Collins Lip Flexibilities. Those three books, the information on the Monette website and A PRIVATE INSTRUCTOR will advance you quicker than you might imagine... provided you put the work into it! Have fun... keep us updated. :thumbsup:

10. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Like a lot of middle school players you've picked up some bad habits. If you really want to get better you have to learn how to use your lips and air correctly. to do this you need a few lessons from a trumpet teacher. I stress that it has to be someone who playes the trumpet well and has experience teaching. you will not be able to do this by your self. good luck!. let us know how it goes.