Advice for a poor fool

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by djserrant, Dec 13, 2008.

1. djserrant

djserrant New Friend

Dec 13, 2008
    Florida
    I just contacted a local music teacher by my university for private lessons when I return to school in January to resume my studies. Traveling to the studio shouldn't be a problem since it is at a music store close to the university.

2. djserrant

djserrant New Friend

Dec 13, 2008
    Florida
    Hi, I bought the Arban's, Colin Lip Flexibilities, and H.L. Clarke books along with a music stand. I would really like to get started working on these books. Can anyone recommend a plan or regimen utilizing all these books?

3. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    With Arban's and Clarke you can start at the beginning. Go slow and play softly. Try to maintain good posture and breathe fully. Start with the easy keys and move to the harder ones as you become proficient with the easy ones. Practice for 20 minutes and rest for 20. If you don't rest you will end up increasing the mouthpiece pressure on your lips which you want to avoid. Think about producing a nice full tone, but don't play louder to do it.

Warm up with long tones, played softly, with full air support coming from the bottom of your lungs (just think this, when you inhale think about filling your lungs from the bottom up). Do the long tones for 15-20 minutes. Try to play them until you run out of air. Start in the middle of your comfortable range and work up and down as you go.

Always rest as much as you play.

In Colin page 49, section 1-A is a good lip flexibility warmup. Go slow, try to keep your corners tight, and work for good sound. You can go to the beginning when you are warm and try the first exercise.

Be patient, don't push too hard. Progress will seem slow, but will happen if you work at it regularly. Read the text at the beginning of the books. There is much there to guide you.

I hope the "music" teacher has brass skills. Ideally s/he should be proficient on the trumpet. Someone with only general music teaching skills may not be able to help with specific issues like embouchure and breathing. Better one or two lessons with a really GOOD trumpet teacher, than 10 with a lousy one.

Oh, and the forum is a great resource, but a teacher it/we are not. Be circumspect about what advice we give you (from me too) and save your extra pennies for lessons with a live, trumpet-loving, teacher who can help you more than all of us put together.

veery

4. EdMann

EdMann Mezzo Forte User

Sep 20, 2007
    Los Angeles
    From the side you looked like Tracy Morgan for a minute.

I thought it was interesting that you were "warming up" using the scales you were playing, testing your range in the first minute. As previously recommended, loooooong tones played pp, nothing above middle C. Strive for tone, even air, good posture, relaaaaaxed feeling. Play 'em for 10-15 minutes resting as much as you play. That's been said, but it can't be said enough. Lip slurs, maybe, but long tones will do a lot of what you need to do. Listen to each note. Sound good? Then make the next note sound the same. After a few weeks you'll feel your chops come together properly and more consistently. I don't know if lip slurs will assist you YET given what I heard. I've seen college players who couldn't do them correctly.

And don't worry about the range. If you stick with a good system and are fortunate to have good teacher, it'll climb right up there.

Ed
    MySpace.com - Ed Mann - 51 - Male - LA, California - www.myspace.com/jazzlips

5. et_mike

et_mike Mezzo Forte User

Oct 16, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA

This is all very sound advice. Follow it closely and you will be ahead of the game when you get those private lessons! :thumbsup:

6. ccNochops

ccNochops Piano User

Sep 30, 2006
    White Marsh, VA
  7. Bloomin Untidy Musician

Bloomin Untidy Musician Piano User

Jan 14, 2008
    Staffordshire
    All the advice above is on the button. However i think it is important to play music as well as technical studies. Find some tunes you like and play them. Do you like Jazz, Pop, Movie theme tunes or classical? You can get all these styles of music with accompanying CDs for every standard of musician.

Merry Christmas

B.U.M.

8. Pakleni

Pakleni New Friend

Dec 16, 2008
    Hi all,
    My name is Alexander and I'm from Serbia. I started playing trumpet 4 weeks ago and I like it very much. I'm taking some lessons and I can say that I'm getting better whit every lesson. At the moment I'm in a lip buzz faze and my problem is lower register. Can you give me some advice, how to relax my downer lip.

Thank you

9. djserrant

djserrant New Friend

Dec 13, 2008
    Florida
    Hi again,
    I'm starting to notice that I do in fact tend to increase mouthpiece pressure onto my lips whenever I play long passages, which does cause my notes to become airy. Is there any tricks or techniques I can try to avoid this.

10. RobertSlotte

RobertSlotte Pianissimo User

Jul 7, 2008
    Finland
    Personaly I always practice with as little MP pressure as possible, so practice and try to keep it at minumum all the time maby would be a good advice.
    It works wonders at least for me. When I get to a point I find I can no longer get a sound without drasticly increasing the mouthpiece pressure then I know it is time for a brake. (maby 30 minutes for example and then continue).
    Some small MP pressure is needed though IMO...I think the trick would be to never use MORE than is needed to seal the airstream.