Advice for a returning player

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ragsman, Sep 6, 2005.

1. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Oh yeah Alex, live at the hollywood bowl what an album! I showed it to my kids over the summer they didn't know what albums were, they had never seen vinyl, God I'm old!

All good stuff. I like Conquistador also great MF stuff!

Louie Armstrong is another favorite of mine. I didn't realize that he sang just about as much as he played.

2. ragsman

ragsman New Friend

Sep 4, 2005
    Georgia
    I have Chameleon and a Live album by MF. Chameleon is great! I have heard the MF Horn series is good, I'll have to track one or two of those down.

Patrick, I've never heard of 'music minus one' until now, but it seems fantastic for me (and my son)! Lots of stuff on their website http://www.musicminusone.com. Thanks for that suggestion! When I get a bit stronger I'll order one and try it out.

Speaking of singing, I really never listened to Dizzy much before now, and there's much more singing with his music than I realized, especially scat singing. It's different, but I love it!!

3. Hiwiller

Hiwiller New Friend

Dec 29, 2004
    near Cleveland, OH, USA
    !!!! True Dat !!!! Good to see my generation represented! Chuck was so hot in the late 70's, early 80's (remember "Give It All Ya Got" for Lake Placid?)
    Great thing about Maynard was/is how often he played/plays in High School gyms. .Yes, he is still at it at 77! He covered a little bit of eveyone's taste in his book, standards, funk, modern, pop, big band.

Definitely classics. Only problem. The one most memorable to me (the one I wore out in my youth) MF Horn II has not yet been re-released by Sony Music. :x

I'm not sure what they are waiting for. You will have to look for that one on vinyl on ebay or at a music exchange shop.