Advice for a Young Trumpeter's Parents

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by AKoopmann, Jan 6, 2008.

1. AKoopmann

AKoopmann New Friend

Jan 6, 2008
    Naperville, IL USA
    I hope the members of this forum can give me some advice. Neither my wife nor I are musicians, but our twelve-year old son, who has been playing about four years, has been called by one of his teachers “the most naturally talented trumpet player I’ve seen in 25 years.â€

We’re at the point of buying him something to replace his beginner’s model (hoping to find something to take him through college, probably), and of course we are at a loss about where to begin, or what all the specifications mean, notwithstanding our research. He tends to be more interested in jazz ensembles than classical, if that matters, and he’s a kid who likes to dance to his own drummer, if you know what I mean.

Any advice would be most appreciated. His current school teacher has not been very helpful in explaining this all to us non-musicians, I’m afraid. So what about bore, reverse lead pipes, valve resistance, traditional vs. lightweight, one- vs. two-piece bells, bell sizes, brass types, finish, etc. should we be thinking of? Should we stretch him with a pro model, or take an intermediate step? What brands would be most appropriate? Is it wise to buy online? What about an older, used model?

Mostly, of course, we’re just interested in finding him the right trumpet while avoiding an expensive mistake. If the answer is “don’t worry so much, we’d like to hear that too!â

Thanks much.

2. Lezwoymn

Lezwoymn Pianissimo User

Oct 11, 2007
    Long Island, NY USA
    Bigger bores=bigger sound. A reverse leadpipe is very easy to play, especially in the high register. A one piece bell is the best for professional playing. Each brass type or silver finish sounds different. A silver finish would equal a darker sound. I"m sure anyone in here can give you great advice. You could also go to a reputable music store, such as Sam Ash. They usually have very knowlegable staff who play themselves. Of course, what music he likes to play will be a factor in his choice. Hope this helps for now. You can also do u'r own research online and find out alot of information. Good luck.

3. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

I'd skip the intermediate step,
    while a pro model is more expensive, if the kid is serious you'll end up buying him one in a few years simply because he develops enough to need one (I ended getting a pro model about 3 years after buying my intermediate)
    I'd recommend a bach strad of some kind (probably medium-large (ML) bore) for starters, if only because many people play them, and i've never had any complaints with the playability of mine. You can probably find a used one that isn't too expensive, I think there even a few for sale in the classifieds of this site.
    Also, ask the teacher for advice on brands, he'll probably be able to help you with a final decision

4. jazz9

jazz9 Piano User

Dec 5, 2007
    Chilhowie, VA
    I wouldn't go with a pro horn just yet. Way too expensive for a 12-year-old. I played a Conn Connstellation once and it is a great intermediate horn. If you really want to go all out, get him a Bach Stradivarius. It is the standard, but the NYTC (New York Trumpet Company) horns are very good too. It depends on the money you are willing to spend.

5. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    I think the biggest factor above all others is what feels good to him. You can look at all those different options and make what you think would be the best guess for him, but until he tries it, he will never know.

When he tries a horn let him play it for a bit, then go home and come back in a day or two and have him play it again to make sure that it is the one he likes.

Lezwoymn likes this.
  6. Eeviac

Eeviac Piano User

Chet Baker used a Connstellation, and aren't they considered a pro horn? Although Baker was known for a very soft sound - a modern teach might say he's not blowing hard enough!

I'm an "old new" player, in that I'm old, but am a new player, and know enough to know the strad's a sort of high-end standard, tons of ppl playing them and lots of them being bought and sold.

7. derekkress

derekkress Pianissimo User

Oct 8, 2007
    Montreal Qc Canada
    I'd recommend the Yamaha 8310z model(lacquer version). It's well priced for a pro horn, and easily available on Ebay if you are looking for a deal. Seeing your son seems to have more interest in Jazz this horn has all the qualities you would hope for in a "commercial" horn. Later when he is in college or when he appreciates and understands the subtleties of other pro horns , he could venture into that experimentation stage. A good Bach strad will do the job too! Hopefully you are in an area where there is a good music store so he could try a few models! Good luck!

8. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    Don't get an intermediate horn, they're not worth the extra money and for the price of a new one, you can find a used professional model.

9. Lezwoymn

Lezwoymn Pianissimo User

Oct 11, 2007
    Long Island, NY USA
    Bach Strads are very expensive. If you decide to buy one, make sure he's really dedicated to his playing and this way you won't end up having spent all that money for nothing.

10. tatakata

tatakata Mezzo Forte User

May 29, 2007
    lezwoymn I disagree with just about everything you have to say here.

Not necessarily

Easy to play :dontknow:. Not really

doesn't Monette use 2 piece bells?

I'll agree with this

darker finish compared to what?

I think Sam Ash might be the very worst place yo could go to buy a trumpet.

At this age I don't think the music he plays should be a factor. He probably plays in concert band and jazz band. Are you going to buy him a Bobby Shew Yamaha because he plays in middle school jazz band? Buy a decent used professional Bb trumpet. Brands that come to mind. B&S, Yamaha Xeno, Bach Strad 37 (used and it plays well). The parents will need to find a pro player or teacher to test what ever trumpet they decide on.

stchasking likes this.