Advice for a Young Trumpeter's Parents

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by AKoopmann, Jan 6, 2008.

1. tatakata

tatakata Mezzo Forte User

May 29, 2007
    expensive compared to what? A new strad probably costs around the same as a new yamaha Xeno or a B&S Challenger. Buy used.

2. Eeviac

Eeviac Piano User

Avoid Ebay. I was a seller from 1997-2007 and a powerseller from when they started the program until my Ebay business inploded about 6 months ago.

I however had stopped buying on ebay about 2-3 years ago. I used to buy on there, sure, got some bargains, but found I could ALWAYS do better locally. The one trumpet-buying experience I had on there was HORRIBLE. And as a seller spending hours and hours a day on there (the work/profit ratio on Ebay is extremely high) I knew all the horror stories. Musical instruments seem to be one of the worse areas for scams, right up there with laptops, cell phones, an video games.

You are better off buying an instrument through a local dealer who's known for taking care of his customers, and paying full price, than paying less initially and ultimately paying more on Ebay.

Instructors always have horns for sale, or know where to get them. Pawn shops, believe it or not, can turn up treasures and as dodgy as that sounds, you're far safer than you are dealing with Ebay.

Sadly, there's a reason Ebay sales are in a tailspin. Years ago, if I was talking to someone and the Ebay-word came up, someone was sure to come over to us and ask about getting into Ebay, etc. Now, for the last couple of years it's been this way, that if I'm talking to someone and the Ebay-word comes up, people will cross the room, parking lot, what have you, to tell us all about how they were ripped off, account stolen, ID theft, you name it.

Ebay jumped the shark long ago.

administrator likes this.
  3. MGTrumpet

MGTrumpet New Friend

Nov 18, 2004
    Maple Grove, MN
    I would agree with the advice to NOT buy an intermediate horn. The only people you will sell an intermediate horn to is someone else looking for an intermediate - and you won't get much money for them.

The problem with beginner horns is that, as soon as you walk out of the music store, they are worth half what you paid for them. Intermediates aren't much better.

Your best bet is a used professional horn. No matter what happens, you can always sell it for at least as much as you paid for it. And, if its a good horn, he may use it for a long time (possibly with some other excellent horns).

The first horns I bought for my sons were used Bach Strads. Selling them was never a problem. These days, there are many excellent used brands - Bach, Yamaha, Schilke, etc....

Don't buy a new professional horn. If your son is that good, wait until high school graduation (or better yet, until the kid is jobbing a lot) and let him choose a horn that really suits him. Also, as he studies with more advanced teachers, they will provide the best input.

Another reason to NOT buy new - he's still in high school - accidents with horns do happen. Also, kids at this age are more swayed by the price of the instrument (or how it looks) instead of the playing ability of the horn. If you give him the choice between a $3000 horn and one costing $800, I can pretty much guarantee which one he'll pick - but the $800 horn may be superior.

4. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    Dear original poster,

Your question gets asked a lot on this web site.

Your son is 12. That is not old enough for his teachers to declare him a music major. If he is interested in junior high sports and is doing well at sports you should not spend a lot of money on trumpets. How long does he practice trumpet every night of the week? It is a loaded question. He should be practicing every day and at least a half hour to an hour. If he is motivated to do the time he should have a decent horn.

In past posts most of the posters have leaned toward the Getzen student model. My cousin plays one in high school and likes it. You need a horn you can sell when he decides to concentrate on sports.

Maybe his teacher wants him to have a horn that plays in better pitch? That is a good reason to buy him a good student model.

Good luck.

5. Firestas'1

Firestas'1 Piano User

Dec 21, 2006
    New Jersey
    If your son loves music, he knows it by now. If he really wants to do this he needs your support and encouragement. I was 13 when I got my Bach 37 (used) my parents bought it at a fraction of what a new one cost and we sent it out to be overhauled and silverplated. I still have this horn and it is my main horn (after 25 years).
    Let your son go to a reputable local brass dealer and try several horns before buying one. Talk with his private teacher (he does have one right?) and decide what is right for him. If he doesn't have a private teacher yet, I would start there before buying a better horn.

6. bigdog

bigdog Pianissimo User

Jul 19, 2005
    hawaii
    hello parents,
    i started with a king tempo,i was 12, still have it today / i went to my local music store here in hawaii,harrys music, didn't have much choice ,they were at the time the only store here, no e-bay, no NYTC, etc.
    there was the Bachs, Yamahas,Conns, then i noticed this unusual trumpet with a forward facing 2nd slide, a Benge Claude Gordon model,shiny silver, real nice / played it in the store, heads turned, the salesmans eyes got big,the sound was.........wow......... i was 16 / my folks paid for it, but i paid them back as soon as a 16 year old could / to this day i still have it,still play it,and yes it's old like me / tho it's still shiny and i'm loosing my hair
    talk to the sales person, go on the internet and call or email the different companies / i did when i was looking around today and they are so helpful, check the stores around your area or if near to you, go there and bring your son to try the horns / look at his eyes and reaction to the horn he's trying, then you will see what i mean / don't rush it, take your time
    hope this helped
    aloha,

7. Lezwoymn

Lezwoymn Pianissimo User

Oct 11, 2007
    Long Island, NY USA
    Tatakata replies to questions aren't a contest. Do you think I agree with all you or other ppl say. It's really immature to post your disagreements in order to gain popularity.

8. Lezwoymn

Lezwoymn Pianissimo User

Oct 11, 2007
    Long Island, NY USA
    A top model strad costs over $2000, xenos are about $1795. Tatakata, don't dissect everything everyone says. This isn't a debate. It's an offered opinion.

9. tatakata

tatakata Mezzo Forte User

May 29, 2007
    How am I trying to gain popularity by disagreeing with your points?. In my opinion you are giving out very bad advice and I'm not going to let it go by. This parent needs help and I don't think you are pointing him in the right direction. This is a discussion forum and I am adding to it.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2008
  10. Lezwoymn

Lezwoymn Pianissimo User

Oct 11, 2007
    Long Island, NY USA
    The world is filled with advice from all. Be it good or bad or what U think is good or bad. People don't wanna read what you think of everything everyone says. End of discussion.