Advice for a Young Trumpeter's Parents

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by AKoopmann, Jan 6, 2008.

1. tatakata

tatakata Mezzo Forte User

May 29, 2007
    Why are we here posting on a forum? This is a place for discussion. I disagree with your points. Let's carry on :-)

2. Lezwoymn

Lezwoymn Pianissimo User

Oct 11, 2007
    Long Island, NY USA
    I hope this done now.

3. mrmusicnotes

mrmusicnotes Piano User

Nov 11, 2007
    N.Y.C.
    I think and intermediate trumpet for a 12 year old would be fine unless money is no object.Go to wwbw.com and look around,type in intermediate trumpets.Also search around on the inernet,stores like sam ash and wwbw will match the lowest price you find.Then you can trade it in for his college trumpet.Good Luck

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    One good way to try out new trumpets in any price range is to blindfold (really!)the player, hand them horn #1, then horn #2. The winner goes in the winner's pile. Same with #3,#4, all the way to horn #X.

Go through the winner trumpets the same way, over and over agin, like the NCAA basketball championship.

When completed, then check out the brand and the price.

The results can be surprising (and often less expensive). Having a good player along to listen with some unbiased ears is a plus; usually the right player/horn combination is obvious to all.

As players grow physically and musically the definition of the "right" horn may change, but for a here-and-now method, the blind test is fairest to all.

MJ likes this.
  5. brem

brem Mezzo Forte User

Sep 13, 2007
    Quebec City, QC, Canada
    It all comed down to how much money you are willing to spend.

6. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    Your comment needed dissecting because it bothered me in the same way it did Takataka.

Takataka is accurate and I support his comments.

Bach horns are rarely sold for over $2000.00. I have purchased all of mine brand new and at prices less than $2000.00

MJ likes this.
  7. ozboy

ozboy Mezzo Forte User

Jan 17, 2007
    Australia
    There are some wild bits of advice being given here.
    I support the idea that a good second hand horn represents good value for money. Suggesting various models, based on who plays them can be misleading. It's a bit like buying a pair of Michael Jordan's shoes and expecting to be able to slam dunk.
    It would be worth your while getting a very good teacher/ player to go along with your son to a store that has a variety of horns and try them out. You don't necessarily have to buy from the store. (I don't want to speculate about your financial status). For some reason, many trumpet players want to promote the horn they play. That does not mean it is going to best suit your son.
    If you have a music school/ college in your town ring and ask if there is someone who would assist you and what it would cost. There is probably half a dozen members of this site who would happily assist if they live close by. Maybe you could start a post to this effect and see how you go.
    When I was growing up I knocked on many dressing room doors asking for lessons from every visiting trumpet player that came to my home town. I always had my money in my pocket to pay. I got plenty of great lessons and was always told to put my money away. I sure there is someone who would assist just to see your young fella right.
    For you to be given advice like 'large bore/small bore, reverse lead pipe, dark horn etc. if you are not a trumpet person is fairly pointless. I have been playing for 37 years and I couldn't buy a horn based on stats.
    Good luck.

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I think that stereotyping instruments does not help a player that has been playing 4 years at all. If this kid is hot, and his teacher seems to think so, he is the luckiest guy on earth to have parents that can and will support the habit. In this case, this will also not be the last horn that he owns, so even if there is a bit more or less "darkness", so what.

My advice is to go to a music store. There your son can play several instruments (price point should be between $1000 and $1500 - my students are advised to do the same thing) and develop a feel for this wonderful world of trumpeting. Making sure that the trumpet teacher goes along as an independent set of critical ears is key to a proper choice.

It is impossible to really 100% judge an instrument in a store with only a few hours of play, but I am sure that if you take your time, you will not make a mistake.

Most of my students end up with Yamaha 6000 series, B&S or used professional instruments that I help them choose. I recommend teaching your son to build relationships with professionals when choosing instruments instead of the cheapest, no support internet/ebay venue. Having somebody that you know to turn to when you have a problem is a good lesson in life!

Lezwoymn, an open internet forum is open and opinions are subject to comment. We are happy that you regularly post and like most of us truly want to help. Keep those posts coming.

I have a different stand on what happens with bore size, plating and the like. I believe that there is no reason to get involved with these specifications as they tell us NOTHING about the playing characteristics of the horn. I have played VERY stuffy large bore professional horns and very free blowing peashooters. I have a thread on "how a trumpet works" that was also positively commented by Felix Vayser who has horns built to his specifications-the NYTC line).
    This lucky kids parents should not get involved with specs. They need to buy a solid, standard, professional horn with the help of the person that knows this young persons face best, the teacher. The parents then get to know the teacher better and the professional relationship could turn in to a closer friendship.

Recommended brands to consider (not by any means complete):
    Yamaha, B&S, Getzen, Holton, Olds. All of these brands have a reputation of consistency and good dealer support. If there are Bach trumpets there, fine. Play them too. DO NOT ORDER ONE BLIND.

Lesson one is have the SON research that price point on the internet to come up with a shortlist of the horns available for that price. Have him talk to the teacher about the list, then call the store and find out what is available to try out. Almost more important than the choice of the horn are the skills involved in making a high ticket purchase decision. That is good for the rest of his life! The final lesson is PLAY before you PAY!!!!!!!! Brand prejudice or blindness is not desirable as there are too many fine instruments out there!

Good luck!

Last edited: Jan 7, 2008
  9. MrWho3421

MrWho3421 Pianissimo User

Jun 1, 2006
    Just to let you know, New strads are rarely under 2300 anymore. Check woodwind and Brasswind. Your price concept is 3 years old. That being said, I agree with everything Takataka says. Lezwoymn, you made statements which just about every knowledgeable trumpet player I know would shoot down. I almost did and then I saw Takataka do it a few minutes later.

The thing you need to understand is this is a public forum where anyone can say anything. When your post goes against a lot of the common known fact, you are going to get shot down.

For example: Large Bore = Large tone. What is this? This is not true at all. The Bore size of a horn does not affect the sound that much. It just plays a little more open. I have played Medium bore New York Bachs that have had a bigger sound then Large Bore Bachs. It's all about the player and how YOU react to different horns.

Silver plating = Darker sound?? This is also crazy. Putting a coat of Silver over raw brass brings out the higher overtones. This makes the horn slightly BRIGHTER.

Please don't take this as an attack. I do not want you to think that. I am mearly stating that this is a public forum and you should not get bent out of shape when someone disagrees with you.

Original Poster:

I would NOT get an intermediate horn. If your child thinks he may want to persue music as a career or if he just wants to play for fun for the rest of his life, get him a professional Yamaha or Bach Horn. It is well worth the investment. As long as it is taken care of, one of those horns will last for a long time. I have seen the intermediate horns fall apart just like the student horns. The only one I have had luck with is the Yamaha Allegro. Even that horn has many Valve problems after a few years.

I would also have his private teacher come along and pick the horn for him. No offense to your child, BUT, a 12 year old student can't tell the difference between horns. He will only know the pro horn plays better then his student horn. That's it. I have picked most of the horns my students have bought over the last few years. A professional player will be able to play every horn a music store has and tell you which is the best.

Another word of advice, Go buy synthetic lubricants and wash the horn every month for the first 3 - 4 if you buy a new horn. I do this with new horns and I make my students do it. There is an initial "Break-in" period each new horn has to go through where little pieces of metal shaves off of the valves and slides. I find it you wash this off of the valves and slides once every month for the first 3 - 4 months, the horn will work better in the long run.

If you do not know how to properly clean a horn, here is a link to my step by step guide which will be in my new begginning trumpet method book:

http://akbrasspress.com/Cleaning the Trumpet.pdf

Just my 2 cents. I have had a lot of students buy new horns in the last year. I have had every one of them do this cleaning routine and their horns work great. I never deal with Valve or slide problems which allows me to help them make music instead of spending half of their lesson fixing their horn like I do with my younger kids that have student models.

Andrew Kissling
    AK Brass Press
    Home

tatakata likes this.
  10. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.

This is good advice