Advice for a Young Trumpeter's Parents

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by AKoopmann, Jan 6, 2008.

1. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    Well, at least you got out before you became bitter! ;-)

2. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    If we could know the future, #1 would be easily answerable. If your best guess is he won't stick with it, cross a new pro-model off your list.

2) In no particular order, Getzen, Yamaha, Schilke, Selmer, Kanstul, Bach, Conn

3) No.

4) Yes, lots of options here.

Here's a must-read bit of advice: The Trumpet Gearhead

Since you live close to Chicago, you're in luck! There's scads of good/great teachers nearby. If your son be a natural, more important than spending $750 to $2,000 on a horn, spend some money on private lessons 1st. Phone Northwestern's Music Department. Ask to speak to one of the trumpet professors. Tell him/her your tale. Ask for a few names to phone.

That will solve your "what to do" that caused you to post your inquiry here.

3. gglassmeyer

gglassmeyer Piano User

Apr 28, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    This link may help you:
    The Trumpet Gearhead

This one is off of the main page above and lists differences between student, intermediate and pro horns.
    Guide to new trumpets

Here are my views on the original post:
    1. Intermediate horns are not worth the money.
    2. Stick with a good standard all purpose horn, Bach Strad 180/37, Yamaha Zeno, Conn Vintage 1, etc.
    3. Kids are rough on horns, buy a used pro horn if you can. This is tough since you don't know a good one from a bad one. You should try to enlist help from a local teacher / pro. to test used equipment. Besides, they may know someone who's selling a horn.
    4. As a player I like the look and sound of lacquered horns, but as a parent silver plating is more durable. FYI when I was in high school, if it wasn't silver, it was crap.
    5. When your son is near the end of high school, he should be in much better shape to determine what type of horn he'd like to buy. At this point he can determine if he likes a reverse tuning slide, large bore, lightweight and all the other options. And he's got a good frame of reference because he's been playing a standard pro horn and can hear a feel the difference in various horn options.

Good luck.

4. Warren

Warren Pianissimo User

Nov 19, 2007
    South Africa
    Great advice...Should try it myself. Just a question though:

*disclaimer: Not attacking or hate-speech or anything else which results is arguments such as the ones on this thread...they are funny though. We not supposed to fight with each other, who's going to fight with the bone and french horn players?*

If I were to do that when I was a younger player, but had to throw my own horn in the mix I somehow think that I probably would have chosen it. Simply because you becaome comfortable on your own horn and learn how it plays. Any other horn would probably not feel as comfortable. Would you just then choose the least uncomfortable one?

Plus we trumpeters like things that are shiny and pretty...Tell me nobody would choose a Monette over a Bach just based on looks.:D

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Warren,
    I really believe that many (most) players have NO IDEA what else is out there. They have their own horns that they are used to and any change is uncomfortable for at least a little while, so trying new things does not reinforce the urge to buy something new. It takes at least a cople of months to get used to a horn, even if it works well right away. That means you need TIME to figure this stuff out. What the player thinks that they hear has nothing to do with what the audience hears, so the new horn needs a couple of concerts to prove itself too.

I know players that would not choose a Monette based on looks or playing qualities. I just do not belong to that group! Many of the posts that I read here about trumpet characteristics were not discovered by first hand experience. They are cut and paste or fantasy. Generalities about bore size or color show this deficit very quickly.

We fight among ourselves because horn and bone players are no match - and that gets dull really fast.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2008
  6. brem

brem Mezzo Forte User

Sep 13, 2007
    Quebec City, QC, Canada
    Rowuk: I wish I had the opportunity to try something else than a Yammie or a Bach...

7. Eeviac

Eeviac Piano User

Ebay .... yeah, I know .... every longtime seller on there is cynical as hell. It's a pretty rough place to play.

8. tatakata

tatakata Mezzo Forte User

May 29, 2007
    so what happened? why is ebay so rough?

9. Billy B

Billy B Pianissimo User

Nov 5, 2004
    Des Moines, IA
    1. It is more important that he study with a trumpet teacher who can teach and motivate their students.

2. Even though you consider yourself musically ignorant, you are the biggest influence on your child. Take the time to listen to him play, to listen to recordings with him(the public library is a good source) and to take him to live music events. If you don't like the music, pretend you do.

3. Many student line horns are almost as good as a pro horn, some aren't. A trumpet teacher will be able to tell you the quality of his horn.

4. If you decide to buy a new horn, get a pro line horn and have a trumpet teacher try it out. If the kid sounds noticeably better on the pro horn, he is ready to make the switch.

5. He doesnt need to be a professional to own a professional horn any more than the golfer who buys Tiger Wood's new driver.

administrator likes this.
  10. Billy B

Billy B Pianissimo User

Nov 5, 2004
    Des Moines, IA
    If I were you I would get him lessons with Mark Olen.