Advice for a Young Trumpeter's Parents

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by AKoopmann, Jan 6, 2008.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Ebay has gotten more vicious because the scum has figured out how to massage the system. There are ever more professionals with very calculated ad text copy instead of the lawnsale approach of a couple of years ago. You really do not know what to believe anymore. There are still deals to be had, but you have to be much more careful than in the past.

Special attention has to be paid to international business. Try and get your money back once it has crossed borders, try and sue when jurisdiction is in a foreign country (if you have taken receipt of stolen goods for instance!).

The old adage: if it is too good to be true, than it probably isn't holds up very well in this business!

Play before you pay is all I have to say!

2. Eeviac

Eeviac Piano User

tatakata - Ebay is the ghetto liquor store of the Internet for a number of reasons. First, due to complaints about scams etc the no. of rules and no. of hoops you have to jump through to buy OR sell have greatly multiplied. Feedback is used as a tool for spite most of the time, and the Ebay buying public tends to have a large component of well, geeks and I don't mean this in a good or cool way. These are people who are probably banned from the local stores and on their local police watch list. In fact I joked about swiping some photos from the Megan's Law list and putting on my Ebay page with a caption like "Some of my happy customers" lol - the Ebay'ers I've met in person (I always tried to avoid that) contained a large percentage of drunks (smell like liquor at 10AM etc) anger-management cases and just plain weirdos. Death threats are fairly common on Ebay, and all kinds of threats of violence and various types of legal mayhem. Nothing ever comes of it though because I think most of these people are lucky to have a bus pass.

I could go on and on....

Just avoid Ebay!

Let me tell you a story ..... I have a TI-86 calculator. I bought it new, for the usual outrageous office supply store price. I used it in a math class or two, and have used it ever since. I've had it something like 10 years. It looks like new except where I opened the case to "overclock" it, yes, I did that and now it graphs slightly faster lol. I have gotten so much use out of that good old calc, that I don't care that I didn't save a dime on it, amortized over the years it's worked out to be dirt cheap.

Same thing with my digital camera, an old Sony Mavica I paid $500 for at Wal-Mart for back in 1998. I get 3 years out of a battery and it's gone through a few, it's taken every picture I've taken for Ebay and my actual number of transactions is over 10,000. The camera looks like new. It's taken photos of surfers at the Huntington Beach Pier, green sand in Hawaii, and is still going strong. I don't care that I paid what would now be considered a huge price, the use I've gotten out of it far outweighs that.

And as I mentioned before, if you think you're saving money on Ebay you're wrong. Shipping can add $50 easily. And you can't try out the horn. Just deal with a reputable dealer or teacher locally or in the large town nearest to you.

administrator likes this.
  3. Eeviac

Eeviac Piano User

PS - I like the line in Trumpet Gearhead about how the Olds Ambassador was "made to play at Armageddon" lol.

4. uapiper

uapiper Pianissimo User

Apr 13, 2007
    Hamilton, Canada
    Bad advice is bad advice, period. If you don't know you shouldn't be giving it out. Prospective parents with interest in furthering their child's trumpet education are looking for solid answer that can give them a clear idea of what to do.

If someone corrects your info, don't take offense to it. That is more immature than anything people do here.

administrator likes this.
  5. administrator

administrator Administrator Staff Member

Jun 27, 2006
    If you have the time you can enter the NYTC trumpet contest and win a free professional trumpet. Contest starts Feb 1!

6. Lezwoymn

Lezwoymn Pianissimo User

Oct 11, 2007
    Long Island, NY USA
    There is something wrong when you correct something that's NOT wrong in the first place.

7. Lezwoymn

Lezwoymn Pianissimo User

Oct 11, 2007
    Long Island, NY USA
    Nothing I said was bad advice. Maybe you should reread what I wrote. I said that other ppl in here can also give you advice. If tatakata doesn't know anything about a reverse tuning slide being easier to play, he's the one that's giving bad advice.

8. Eeviac

Eeviac Piano User

Haha Allan Sherman:

"Good advice, good advice,
    Good advice costs nothing, and it's worth the price!"

9. brem

brem Mezzo Forte User

Sep 13, 2007
    Quebec City, QC, Canada
    Lyzwoymn: you said silver horns sound darker than lacquered ones, and if anything, it's the exact opposite.

Just sayin.

10. Lezwoymn

Lezwoymn Pianissimo User

Oct 11, 2007
    Long Island, NY USA
    That's ok brem, at least u'r nice about it. I like ya.