Advice For Impressive Audition Tape

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Passion, Oct 5, 2009.

1. Passion

Passion Pianissimo User

Jun 11, 2009
    So, I'm auditioning for a popular Honor Band.

It says to have two tapes (one is technical, the other lyrical), each can only be 7 minutes long.

Can I have two different songs on one tape, as long as it's under two minutes? I was thinking of playing for the technical tape the 4th variation of Arban's Carnival of Venice. Also the 2nd variation of Arban's Fantasie Brillante to show my double tongue abilities.

Are those good choices from arban's book?

For lyrical, I am going to play 1st variation from Arban's Carnival of Venice. And 2nd variation of Arban's Fantasie Brillante.

Are those good choices?

I really advice on what to choose. And am I allowed to play two different songs, as long as under 7 minutes both?

Last edited: Oct 5, 2009
  2. Sam24

Sam24 New Friend

Feb 11, 2009
    If you wanna be impressive its all about the feel. Listen to the pros play and imitate the way they play. You can always tell the difference between a college student playing classical and a pro playing classical even though they're playing the same piece.

I come from a jazz background so I'll share my experiences there. The judges will be less impressed with 30 Sonny Rollins/Charlie Parker licks that don't swing vs 1 or 2 Parker licks that swing their butts off. But in terms of classical...man I'd be playing the same stuff as Van Cliburn or Horowitz but theres a marked difference between the two. Cliburn and Horowitz have this polish that gives the music so much more. Im just playin the notes. They play past the notes.