Advice For Kid With Braces

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by riefil, Aug 14, 2012.

1. riefil

riefil New Friend

Oct 21, 2010
    So my son (8th Grade this fall) got braces this summer. He is stressing about playing. We don't have a Trumpet for him yet, so practicing now is non-existant. Are there any technique changes he should be thinking about or exercises etc.. recommended? We are currently looking for a horn for him and was wondering if a different mouthpiece other than 7C would be appropriate.

Thanks,

Phil

2. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    There are dozens of things like this out there that will make it more comfortable BRACEGUARD

3. riefil

riefil New Friend

Oct 21, 2010
    DaTrump:

That's pretty cool stuff. I wonder if the silicone wax they (orthodontist) provide him could be used in the same fashion? (Thats a somewhat rethorical question)

4. graysono

graysono Mezzo Forte User

Jan 22, 2007
    Hyde Park, Utah
    I occasionally ruminate about my parents' offer of orthodentia when I was 14 (many years ago!). I declined because I didn't want to stop playing, even a day. Maybe it is a good opportunity to try some of the prophylactics that are out there as well as learning to play without socking it in.

5. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Hi Phil,

My son went through a couple years with braces, from around the 7th grade to the 9th grade. The braces came off last year.

He tried some of the protection products, like those listed above. I'm sure they help some people, and I think they are worth considering. But my son couldn't get used to them, and preferred to play without them.

He had an adjustment period of several months, after which he played fairly well with his braces. Although it was not his intention, during this adjustment period, he changed the position of the mouthpiece slightly, to fit better with his braces. Again, this wasn't a deliberate change, but something that seemed to happen naturally.

Since you brought up mouthpieces, I'll add that he was playing on a Bach 5C mouthpiece at the time. His teacher considered a mouthpiece change, but for his situation, felt it was better to leave well-enough alone.

Mike

6. D.C. Al fine

D.C. Al fine Banned

May 8, 2012
    USA
    I had a student that went through braces. The wax may work, the brace guard may work, but he played with nothing on the braces. It is all an what they are comfortable playing with, I would get him off the 7C though. Shallower mouthpieces work better, try a 10 1/2 D or a Yamaha (not Schilke) 14a4a. It just seems to work better with braces.

7. riefil

riefil New Friend

Oct 21, 2010
    All very interesting information. I'll have him find what is comfortable mouthpiece-wise. Knowing my son, this could be a long, frustrating transition. He's not good with change.:-)

8. Hycee

Hycee New Friend

Mar 9, 2009
    Phila
    Just Play on the braces. It's a good reminder to play without too much pressure.

9. D.C. Al fine

D.C. Al fine Banned

May 8, 2012
    USA
    I would start out with this, but it does not help with playing with no pressure. If anything he will build up scars on the inside of his lips and not care about pressure because it will not hurt.

But best of luck to your son.

10. BustedChops

BustedChops Mezzo Forte User

Oct 1, 2011
    The Harrison Wedge claims to be of an advantage for players with braces. I would get a plastic 7C wedge mouthpiece. The plastic material is comfortable and as a student he can drop it a million times and not have to worry. Plus he'll be the coolest kid in the band with a black mouthpiece.