Advice for peculiar matter, please

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Churchman, Jul 19, 2012.

1. Churchman

Churchman Mezzo Piano User

Apr 26, 2012
    I have a Reynolds Emperor 'C' trumpet - it has always been hard work to play. Somehow I had never noticed - (don't ask :shhh:) - that it has one valve which is different. 1st and 3rd have 'internal' spring, the second has an external one. If this is a replacement maybe this is why it is so difficult to play. Any thoughts and suggestions would be welcome. Thanks.

For instance - should I get rid and find something consistent in manufacture? Should I look for a Reynolds valve?

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Ah, YES!!

3. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I didn't know Reynolds made an Emperor trumpet in C. Is it a conversion from a Bb horn? If it's been "worked on", that could explain the mismatched valve.

4. Churchman

Apr 26, 2012
    It gives no sign of being worked on - the bell has been dinged and fixed, but the rest looks as if intended. If it is worked up, then it was done extremely professionally. That said, it would explain things if it were. The mismatched valve is much newer an shinier, and with a serial number on the inside of the valve itself (under the spring) - which I've never seen.

The case is original reynolds, and the horn doesn't seem to be particularly odd as a 'C' in any visual way. But I guess if changed, however well, then it just won't work quite right. Hmmm. I seem to be heading for a replacement :-(

P.S. Entirely separately, tonight's BBC prom of Also Sprach Zarathustra had a first trumpeter with a quirk - every time he went to the high notes his trumpet twitched visibly to the right!

5. Churchman

Apr 26, 2012
    Extra info - on trumpet is serial number 213165. On valve is serial number 677163.

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Sorry about that. That seems to be a likely culprit.

7. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    You might have it checked at a shop to see if it lines up properly.
    I would definitely test the compression. If the valve is too small in diameter then it's going to have problems.

8. Churchman

Apr 26, 2012
    ty for the advice - I may go the replacement route - even the chinese jobs probably work better :oops:

9. Churchman

Apr 26, 2012
    Right - time for some exciting news - read it here soon...

10. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Please don't do that. Some of us participate in more than one forum. Too many posts, too little time.
    Thanks. :D