Advice for peculiar matter, please

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Churchman, Jul 19, 2012.

1. Churchman

Churchman Mezzo Piano User

Apr 26, 2012
    I couldn't get much out of this trumpet at all.
    Recently I got custom Stork mpc after lots of help from Phyllis Stork.
    It worked well with my B flat, which is all I had used it with until today.

I stuck it into this 'c' trumpet this afternoon, and wow - an instrument that had been a struggle suddenly sprang to life.
    I'd been going to sell it and try again, but no more. Dodgy valve? Well, no longer.

I guess I also have an answer to my favourite mpc as well!

:D

2. Local 357

Local 357 Banned

Jul 1, 2011

The last thing I want to worry about on a gig is any kind of instrument breakdown or mechanical oddity. Dump the horn ASAP and find a spare.

3. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    Gotta go with 357 on this. As far as I know the only C trumpets built by Reynolds were the Contempora models. Even if someone cut this one down I can't figure out any logic reason they would arbitrarily replace the second valve. Life's too short to spend it making things work. Used "C" trumpets are reasonably inexpensive compared with their Bb counterparts.

4. Churchman

Churchman Mezzo Piano User

Apr 26, 2012
    Back from hols.

The stork mouthpiece has utterly transformed the Reynolds. It now sounds like a trumpet, and I can play it without it seeming such hard work. As for 'cut-down'. It may be, but whoever did it did a very thorough job and you "can't see the joins". I'm sticking with it :-)

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    It is possible, but not too probable, that the replacement valve was a good match. Too, there is always a certain mouthpiece that works best with a particular instrument. Should the gap of the mouthpiece in the receiver be out of specification the instrument becomes a burden to play with optimum slotting of the notes. Well YOU are the only one that can be happy now.

6. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    It's sounds like you have found an answer to your concern. Now go out there and play like you mean it for the Gipper.