Advice from my instructor

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Hornlife98, Nov 20, 2014.

1. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    And, that said, tongue arch might work to make the resonant chamber in your mouth smaller. Any "air stream" explanation is complete nonsense. (I would have rather used a different word).

The air has one job and one job only to excite the vibration. People just do not realize that not only is the mouthpiece and the horn a resonant system, it also includes your oral cavity, your throat, and your lungs. Sitting up and taking a big breath opens up those resonant cavities.

Tom

2. Hornlife98

Hornlife98 Pianissimo User

Nov 16, 2014
    Tennessee
    When some of you emphasize breathing, what exactly do you mean? I mean, I mark all music with breath marks, and before I play, I might do some breathing exercises without horn or mouthpiece(In four out four, in four out three, etc, etc).

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Condescension? Um? Who has range here and who doesn't? Who came to the internet for help? It is not condescension, and if you go into "protected mode" how can anyone help you? This is one of the biggest problems on the internet. There is some warped sense that we are all equal and if someone directly addresses issues, they are lacking netiquette. Drivel if you ask me.

We all suck to some degree. If you for instance didn't, you would already have essentially unlimited range! I never have these issues in a live lesson, the student is far too occupied with trying to do what is right for a change. If you weren't in protected mode, you would have realized that being in the same room means a live lesson. We just learned something more about you - didn't we?

Please reread what I said and just assume that my only goal was to not waste time with BS, rather get right to the meat. As far as breathing goes, you can search for my "Circle of Breath" here. It is free, safe and very quickly shows you where you need to be spending time. I don't ask many questions in the beginning, because it is not necessary. The symptoms reported always have the same sucky causes that have nothing to do with you as a person, rather the choices that YOU have made. When I adjudicate, I know what I am going to write after I hear the first 2 or 3 notes. There are never surprises after that. Just like here, there are no surprises - just artificial indignance that slows YOU down and changes my willingness to help.

Good luck. Positive motivation is not me sucking up to the student. It is showing the student a far better way and THEY assuming responsibility.

For the record, I am an American living in Germany. I have a real day job and free lance a lot.

4. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    I read that too quickly and thought it said, "I've spent time with him in prison! :-o

5. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    For the record, I may have deserved it at one point in my life or another, but I perform in prisons as a guest, not as a member.

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    And all this time, I thought to play with velocity, you had to be a mythter.

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
  8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    And here is what Chris Botti recently had to say:
    "So you need to practice it hours and hours and hours a day... On a piano, anyone can play a note, they just strike it, but on the trumpet it's much, much more difficult. Sometimes you can't get a note out and it takes months and months and months and months and months."

So moral of the story, there is no quick fix on the high note had how to make it sound pretty.

9. Hornlife98

Hornlife98 Pianissimo User

Nov 16, 2014
    Tennessee
    What about this?

I was playing after a long practice session for my midstate auditions, and I wanted to do my chromatic scale to High C one last time, and I hit it (as usual), and it had a really nice sound, but my corners were dying, and after 10 (?) seconds of holding the C, the pitch began to drop. Since playing the trumpet can sometimes be likened to that of a lifter, I wondered if I should work out my corners so that they begin to burn...

Thoughts?

10. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Nope,

a trumpet embouchure is fine motor activity and there is no use for a six pack in the face. There are some teachers that advocate burn. Knowing how our bodies and the trumpet really work, I don't understand why anyone would advocate gross motor skills for the face. Endurance comes from breathing, body use, hearing and fine motor skills working holistically. The face weight lifters in our business are those not getting any work.

It cannot be likened to weight lifting. There is no comparison. The muscles are different, they are anchored differently, the geometry is different and their original function is for 50,000 variations on everything from a smile to a frown to a kiss.

If the breathing and body skills are inadequate (in my lingo= suck), we only get range by brute force. The face does not have much muscle capacity, so what you experience is normal. You can try and put a bandaid on the problem, it still is a problem under the bandaid.

At the end of a practice session, you should be lowering tension instead of increasing it unnecessarily.

The trumpet is a wind instrument, we should focus on blowing instead of sucking.