Advice from my instructor

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Hornlife98, Nov 20, 2014.

1. Hornlife98

Hornlife98 Pianissimo User

Nov 16, 2014
    Tennessee
    I warmed down.

Ok, good, facial muscles are incomparable to biceps and the like.

On Monday, I meet with my professor, so I will remember to print out a few posts.

2. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Can I just warn you the best way to annoy an instructor is to print out a few posts and wave them in his/her face. Try to bring these issues to your instructor in a carefully worded manner so you don't sound as though you are being critical of what they are telling you.

3. Hornlife98

Hornlife98 Pianissimo User

Nov 16, 2014
    Tennessee
    I shan't print anything out. Basically, I will ask him to be attentive to my breathing and my body use, since these were emphasized principles.

Any other keys to the upper register that I should mention in a carefully worded manner?

4. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Hey only warning you against your own words.

5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    David Hickman taught that our tongue position is ideal when we can flutter-tongue that note, assuming a trumpeter can flutter-tongue in the first place....

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Flutter tonguing! Haven't done that in awhile! Did it in church once and was told not to do it again because it was too suggestive!!!! With a straight face I said, "Of what"??? Rendered the critic speechless!

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Actually, I like it when my students spend their time figuring stuff out, asking questions and then bringing back the conclusion. It does not challenge my position, it gives further valuable insite into what is going on in their minds. If what I teach won't stand up to a simple challenge, then I need to do my homework before giving lessons.

There are a couple of scenarios here - any or all can be true or false:

1) the thread owners teacher has been telling him this stuff all along in one way or another - but is not making any headroom - feel free to guess why...
    2) the teacher has natural playing talent but marginal pedagogical skills and doesn't know why things work for him and thus has trouble teaching it
    3) the teacher places no value on basics................
    4) the student is making a lot of stuff up and we don't know what the real story is

To me it doesn't matter which reason it is. Why a "player" has issues, asks on the internet and then shows indignance when getting a straight answer tells me what I need to know - and that is for sure not what the player thinks that I think that I know.

The story is ALWAYS the same. Little attention being paid to the basics of sound production, brick wall limit on range and zero real analysis about what is going wrong. Let me bring up another point, first trumpeters in the true sense of the word, make things happen. A second or third trumpeter attitude is let the others do the leg work - what the section leader or conductor doesn't teach me, I can't do ( I am not talking about playing skills, I am talking about attitude). Simple searching on range or embouchure here at Trumpetmaster bring up all of the past recommendations - a great DIY start! Instead of doing that, the new kid on the block starts a new thread to be spoon fed. Then they get spoon fed and complain about the taste of spinach. The problem is there is no hamburger solution for a gourmet issue like range. You have to learn to like spinach........ regardless if your teacher is a fast food guy/gal or not!

I say confront the teacher with the issues: where are my basics (breathing/body use)? Confront the teacher with lowering tension (no high notes at the end of the practice session). Confront the teacher with the "missing" daily routine. I made absolutely NO REFERENCE TO OR CRITICIZE ANY METHODS. I simply explained where most lesser experienced players always screw up their playing (yeah - the student screws it up, not the teacher). If the teacher has a problem with any responses, they can log in here and ask any of us why we post what we post. In my 8 years here at TrumpetMaster 3 teachers have written - all by PM. I think the rest of the kids that got spinach were afraid to tell. That says a lot too. I think the standard teacher response is "finally someone else tells you the same thing that I have tried to for the past n years"!

8. robrtx

robrtx Mezzo Forte User

May 26, 2012
    Hawaii
    Ahh so Tom is correct; NOT a native English speaker.........;-)

9. Dviglis

Dviglis Mezzo Piano User

Mar 29, 2014
    VA
    If you want a nice high range, play on a more open mouthpiece when you just need middle and low register but when you need to scream switch to a mouthpiece with more resistance. My range with my regular 7c is about the c above the staff. With the high resistance and shallow cup of my 13a4a it's more like a triple c, with the same effort as blowing a middle c in my 7c. I know, so many c's but you get the idea. Some may say this is a cheater method but whatever works for you :) And I am sure a bunch of people will tell you that everything I just said is B.S. and all I can say to them is to talk to my triple c :cool:

10. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Dviglis, do you mean triple C, C8, 9 ledger lines above the stave, frequency 4186.01 Hz, I take my hat off to you, please give me a lesson, my range tops out at F6.

Regards, Stuart.