Advice from my instructor

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Hornlife98, Nov 20, 2014.

1. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    For me it depends how it is done Rowuk, If a student came with a reasoned discussion point and ready to talk about it then I agree with you, if however it is a bunch of papers waved in the instructors face telling him "you are wrong" I would find it very irritating

2. Franklin D

Franklin D Forte User

May 23, 2009
    The Netherlands
    Same, deep, deep respect. BTW, I am too old to hear that notes, too high frequency.

3. mgcoleman

mgcoleman Mezzo Forte User

Jun 22, 2010
    Iowa
    A video of this would certainly quiet anyone calls BS.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    We agree on this. However if a teacher has a student waving papers and didn't know about this character trait, it would be a different problem altogether.......

My students also come with un-thoughtout stuff that we can discuss. One brought a rubber damper on the outside of the mouthpiece where the throat is and claimed that it was a lot better. I said that I would investigate and comment the following lesson. The next lesson I brought a blindfold and had the student blindly play intervals with and without. You know what, there WAS a difference. The damper was worse. After about 5 minutes of controlled testing, the student picked it out correctly EVERY TIME. I did not think that the difference could be that big, but it was. I really do try some of the real hairbrained things out before commenting here at TrumpetMaster.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany

Perhaps much differently than the poster intended............

6. Hornlife98

Hornlife98 Pianissimo User

Nov 16, 2014
    Tennessee
    "To me it doesn't matter which reason it is. Why a "player" has issues, asks on the internet and then shows indignance when getting a straight answer tells me what I need to know - and that is for sure not what the player thinks that I think that I know."

Where have I conveyed indignance? Quotes please.

"Instead of doing that, the new kid on the block starts a new thread to be spoon fed. Then they get spoon fed and complain about the taste of spinach"

I have only been curious; I have only sought help; I have only been open to help. If condescension is your thing, fine, but at least be correct in your arrogance. This thread is relevant. I've read all your stickies, including the one that advises that one should check for any previous threads that have already done the trick. In previous posts, no one has ever mentioned my teacher's method, so I created a new thread. (For clarification on purpose of this thread see previous posts).

That being said, I spoke to my teacher today and he does not think I use excessive pressure. (I don't). In fact I played a D above High C that "peeled the paint off the wall", according to my instructor. He says there is nothing blatantly wrong with my body use, but he said my posture could be better and that I should release the bodily tension in the upper register.

I spoke to him about the concerns some other horn players "I met" had when I told them about his arc method; I had no legs to stand on, however, when he proceeded to tell me about Thomas Vines, his 1st Chair All-State player that uses this arc method. I have met Thomas and he only says good things about the method; Thomas takes every word my instructor says as Sacred and it has paid off for him. My instructor and I do not neglect fundamentals. We don't. Stop assuming we do.

This brings me full-circle to the purpose of this thread. I wanted to know if any of you have heard of this method; since you haven't, perhaps this thread no longer serves a purpose.

One last shot:
    My instructor refers to the tongue position as a whistle formation, since when you whistle, the tongue naturally rises. He says this is key to pushing the air quicker into the mouthpiece. The whistle formation is to be used at all times, not just when playing high notes; you simply lurch the tongue forward in the upper register to create a smaller channel through which the air flows, thereby aiding the upper register. All of his students have been successful with this method except me, but my instructor says I am the second only to Thomas. He raves about the kind of player I will be when I finally figure all of this out. That is why I am so eager and insistent on adopting his method.

Thanks Rowuk for your continued interest. Thanks all.

7. Tjnaples

Tjnaples Piano User

Aug 30, 2013
    Hawaii
    Bernouli's Principle confirms your teacher: Bernoulli's principle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. The tongue creates the faster airstream, but that is only a piece of the puzzle.

I peaced out many moons from here, Rowuk is smart, but he enjoys making you know it. Don't let him get you down. He's given bold statements followed by walking them back when challenged. Look at my other post where I gave video proof of Dave Monette talking opposite of his thoughts after he decried being a Monette user. You can learn much from him, just keep that in mind.

Keep practicing, I've learned so much about patience and hard work under Adam Rapa. Hesitate to go to forums for advice, someone might not have given you a lesson in person and sound off. Hang in there, good foundations are essential before range, be well!

TJ

8. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    ????

Why do you come out with stuff like this? Do you not think that there may be some TM members who not only know the correct spelling of Bernoulli, but who have some reasonable familiarity with his equation due to it being a fundamental(ish) cornerstone of their job? And who realise that since Bernoulli has no directional component it has something less than b****r all to say about direction of flow?

9. Tjnaples

Tjnaples Piano User

Aug 30, 2013
    Hawaii
    I didn't, Bernoulli did. I read the entire thread and was answering the original question. Whether I missed it or spell check good call on the spelling. Such an arrogant condescending reply. Who peed in your Cherios? Wasn't me...

10. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    Grow up