Advice - Lessons vs. Here + YouTube

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Eeviac, Jan 23, 2008.

1. Eeviac

Eeviac Piano User

OK I'd like to ask your opinions here.

I've been learning on my own since Jan 2nd or so, somewhere in there. I'm doing OK I think and learning to read music, up to page 10-11 in the Visual Band Method, and picking up books here and there (got 2 more today, clarke and something else, above me but they won't be above me forever) and basically reading and watching YouTube also for stuff. This is a great site!

So, here's my set of choices:

(1) Take lessons from a fellow named Ed Cornett who lives near me, once a week.

(2) Continue on my own, getting tips from here, watching YouTube stuff, and also put the money I'd have spent on lessons on a vidcam so I can put stuff of myself on YouTube so you guys can critique my playing.

If you guys/gals could tell me which is better I'd appreciate it, frankly I'm kinda leaning towards #2 myself since I kinda want a vid-cam anyway.

But, let me know your thoughts!

2. gtromble

gtromble Pianissimo User

Dec 31, 2005
    If you really want to advance - get the teacher. If you're content to mess around and have fun, go with free advice from the internet. It's worth every penny -- including this post.

3. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    Take lessons.

4. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    Definitely lessons...plus the guy's got a great name!

5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Learning the trumpet is not a do it yourself kind of thing--it involves imitating modeled behavior, and a good teacher can model the right thing at the right time.

So far it is 4-0 for live teachers.

6. eisprl

eisprl Mezzo Piano User

Sep 26, 2004
    Halifax, NS CANADA
    teacher, teacher, teacher (that counts as three votes)

7. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

6-0 (8-0? :-P)
    I definitely didn't start really getting going until i started taking lessons
    They're very useful

8. Jude

Jude Piano User

Dec 2, 2007
    Take the lessons - in addition to all the advantages it offers, unless you're a prodigy, it's only fair to pay whoever has to listen to you get through the first few books. (My teacher would be earning whatever I pay him for this alone.)

9. Jimba

Jimba New Friend

Dec 28, 2006
    Seattle
    I was doing the same as you (teaching myself) I found I kind of went flat, not advancing. so I started taking lessons, and have been advancing at a much higher rate. I'm glad I did it, and plan on alot more lessons with my instructor.

10. Eeviac

Eeviac Piano User

OK you guys are confirming what I have a sort of sneaking suspicion of, that I'd be better off with lessons.

I have a very high regard for myself, after all, I'm a trumpet player! But, taking a month's lessons anyway can't hurt....

Thanks.