Advice - Lessons vs. Here + YouTube

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Eeviac, Jan 23, 2008.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    REAL LIVE LESSONS.

We are not in agreement about how or really competent to analyse your playing over the internet. The bandwidth required to get all the minute details that a live teacher can experience is not economically viable. As you can't judge what advice is good or not good, the internet would be infinitely more confusing. Just imagine believing some virtual 17 year old that has no idea but a believable writing style!

A good teacher is more than practice control and a behaviour model. They can be a good friend (we all need that) AND a big help as a second set of ears when a new horn or mouthpiece comes up. If the teacher plays professionally, they are also a source of gigs to perform what you have learned.

2. et_mike

et_mike Mezzo Forte User

Oct 16, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    How about one more vote for teacher!!

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    What a great name for a trumpet teacher! You can't go wrong!

4. skuni

skuni Piano User

Jan 20, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
    I would also recommend continuing lessons for longer than a month. It takes a while to get to know the student and then figure out what works and then you can see and hear lasting improvement.

5. Eeviac

Eeviac Piano User

OK ok this guy teaches, gigs, and so on. I think he's probably just fine. And yeah, what a cool name!

And I told him I can just ride my motorcycle over to his place, and not even do a brodie on his lawn!