advice needed

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by splinter, Apr 25, 2007.

1. splinter

splinter New Friend

Apr 17, 2007
    uk
    Hi i've only just started playing,i'm practicing for around 2 hrs a day split in two..I found it far easier to play low G at the beginning,then ive worked upwards,at present i can play through one octive low G to G (without sharps or flats)..
    Some times my notes sound ok(ish),but i'm finding a lot of the time they sound bubbly/gurgley (not sure if thats a word)..I know things take time,but just wondered if theres any obvious reason for this..

thks in advances

S

Last edited: Apr 25, 2007
  2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Hi Splinter,
    good to have you at TM!
    In the beginning, your chops have ZERO muscle tone and pretty much do whatever they want (even those funny sounds that you describe). If you have just started and are playing 2 hours a day, you are probably overloading your face muscles unless you are doing 24x 5 minute sessions. I would not play more than 20 minutes at a time and allow at least that much between sessions. At least for the first couple of months!

3. Stile442

Stile442 Piano User

Mar 26, 2007
    Deland Fl
    I agree with Rowuk and will add that if you have not already done so it's a good idea to get a teacher. At least for the first few months, a good teacher can make sure you are building the right habits for a long and enjoyable playing experience

4. splinter

splinter New Friend

Apr 17, 2007
    uk
    Hi thks for the replies...Ive been practicing a hr in the morning a hr in the evening,i will cut back to 20 min at a time with lots of breaks..I'm on the lookout for a teacher too.thks andy

5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    One obvious thing that wasn't obvious to me when I started playing might be condensed water in the slides (known in trumpetspeak as "spit" -- it grosses violists out when we call it that). Sometimes emptying the water keys isn't enough or sometimes we'll not hold the horn at the proper angle to bring the water down over the opening and it will stay in.

The other advice about proper rest is well given.

Have fun!

6. splinter

splinter New Friend

Apr 17, 2007
    uk
    Thks for the advice Vulgano! i have been opening the water key a lot as i play,its positively dribbling lol..I will keep eye on it draining properly...

S

7. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Oops! I forgot to add that sometimes the first and second valve slides will get water in them too. Practice can be really draining sometimes!