Advice needed!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by concordtrumpet, Sep 23, 2008.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I majored in trumpet and minored in voice. The synergy was worth the effort. You learn to articulate better, play with timbre more and the breathing exercizes are complementary.

2. trumpetlore

trumpetlore Pianissimo User

Apr 14, 2007
    Rochester, NY
    Matt,
    I went to a small Canadian school. There were some things I didn't get, but I had opportunities there to play with everybody, in my entire undergrad, I played with the symphony, wind ensemble, jazz band, and brass choir, as well as chamber (not to mention some outside of school ensembles).
    Now at Eastman, and I'm only playing in 5 pieces this semester. I love it here, but I'm paying a lot more money, and not always getting more instruction.
    School is a very personal experience. Some students flourish being top dog at a small school, some flourish being in a larger environment.
    Also, depending on where you're at, you may be able to spend less, and still go and get lessons with some of the great teachers from the big schools.
    Basically, it's all about what you put into it...

3. bilboinsa

bilboinsa Piano User

Jan 24, 2006
    San Antonio, TX
    Matt:

This is a good problem to have. It means you are ahead of the curve. Beware, the curve may catch up and pass you in the next three years. Have fun while you can!

4. Bandteachsing

Bandteachsing New Friend

Sep 10, 2008
    Concord, CA
    Just throwing my "hat" in the ring here... I met my trumpet teacher at the University of Mississippi. She left for Youngstown, OH after one year. I was devastated and followed her to OH to get my Masters. For me it was absolutely the best decision I ever made. She motivated, challenged and pushed me to be the player I am today.
    We all get caught up in the proverbial reputations of some colleges/universities but for me it is about what you learn not where. Nothing academic really prepares us fully for the real world so follow your "gut" and your passion.

5. concordtrumpet

concordtrumpet New Friend

Sep 23, 2008
    Today I had a very fruitful lesson. I began work on Kennan's Sonata for trumpet and piano (I'll be playing all three movements at first semester juries) and next week will be my first lesson on the picc! I'm pretty excited. Is it abnormal to start on the picc the fourth week into your first year of college?
    The school has purchased a picc and a C trumpet (both rented out to me) and I heard a D trumpet is on it's way also.
    I think I'm pretty content with where I am!

Rowuk -
    Currently I am majoring in performance on trumpet and voice and minoring in music education. Studying voice in the past couple years has helped me tremendously!

Last edited: Sep 27, 2008
  6. Bandteachsing

Bandteachsing New Friend

Sep 10, 2008
    Concord, CA
    For fun try the Music Minus One:
    Art of the Solo Trumpet with Orchestral Accompaniment
    The solo work is primarily for picc... includes Brandenburg & Torelli plus others that I cannot remember: the performance on the cd is not the greatest but the accompaniment tracks are good.