Advice on buying a trumpet from the sellers here

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by zorrosg, Feb 5, 2011.

1. zorrosg

zorrosg Pianissimo User

Jan 30, 2011
    I am thinking of picking up the trumpet - I already play saxophone and a couple of other instruments. In my search for a proper trumpet, I came across an advertisement here in the Classifieds section, where a Yamaha trumpet was being offered at a very good price. I did contact the person, and the communications were quite positive.

My main concern is with the safety of buying from the classifieds section in this forum. If after payment (through Paypal), the seller doesn't send out the horn, or sends it out something that is a train wreck etc., then what kind of recourse would i have, especially since I am a foreign buyer from a distant country. This person only joined this forum in Dec 2010, and has only had a few posts, most of which are pertaining to selling his trumpet.

So I would like the advice of the more experienced members and moderators here as to how real of a worry is this, and is it wise for me to proceed with the purchase? Athough the payment is through Paypal, and I do believe Paypal has some buyer protection features, still it would not be worth the hassle and potential loss of money. In short, would you all consider that the sellers on this site classifieds are unlikely to try pulling any scam or con, or is it something that happens often enough to be a course for concern?

Thank you very much for your feedback on this question, This is my maiden post in this forum, and I apologise if I am not posting in the right section.

Many thanks!

2. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    If they rip you off we'll rake 'em over the coals!

3. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    +1. Your chance of a bad experience is minimal in my opinion. If you did your homework and viewed lots of pics. and spoke to the seller and are game to buy before you play, I say go for it.

BTW...Mendez, I just read the caption to your picture and realised that it was taken in 1960. Till now I thought you was a midget. Sorry dude. Best wishes.

4. reedy

reedy Piano User

Jul 31, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK
    Im sure it would be fine, if it does end bad you could always file a dispute with paypall and get your money back :)

5. zorrosg

zorrosg Pianissimo User

Jan 30, 2011
    Intriguing answer, but how exactly do you rake then over the coals? Has there never been a bad deal or scam by a seller in this forum's classified ads sellers?

Anyone can gie a more detailed answer on this matter? Thanks!

6. acarcido

acarcido Forte User

Dec 28, 2009
    Ontario, Ca
    I've bought and sold a few horns on here and most fellow trumpetmaster peers are genuine and honest. Only issues I've ever come across here are those looking for the drop dead low ball deals. A true trumpeteer will honor and value a great horn. So if you're a rookie, do some research and it never hurts to ask as you have on here. Good luck....

7. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    I was 2 in that photo....:-?

8. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    Looks like your holding your own there. Best wishes.

9. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    I feel a lot safer buying here or TH than buying from ebay or craigslist.

10. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Check with the seller and see if he will allow one of us who live nearby (you could start by just mentioning the city name to narrow down the possibilities) to go and look at it. If it is in Southern California, I would do it for you.