advice on practice time

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by chisa, Nov 11, 2014.

1. chisa

chisa New Friend

Nov 4, 2014
    Manchester, England
    hello chaps

i bought a trumpet a couple of weeks ago and have been messing about with it since. on a good day i can do bottom F# to high C and am playing though a few tunes to get a feel for it - easy melodies like 'all blues'.

anyhow, the thing that is frustrating me is that my lips go after about 1/2 an hour - especially if i am trying to regularly hit notes above the staff.

i have been a guitar player for nearly 30 years and have professional-level theory/practice skills (jazz & classical) and also have taught the instrument and music theory.

i know trumpeter's lips can go (when i was studying the jazz group tutor was a trumpet player and he taught us the limitations of the player/instrument for when we were writing for it), but how long does it take before i will be able to practice for a good 2 hours +? i am used to practicing for around 6 hours when i was seriously playing guitar and it would be nice to be able to get some hours in on the horn!

and are there any exercises to develop lip strenght?

cheers fellas!

2. gbshelbymi

gbshelbymi Mezzo Piano User

Jan 3, 2013
    Travelers Rest, SC
  3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Chisa, the key to endurance on trumpet requires lots of low-impact playing, stuff below the top of the staff and even stuff below the bottom of the staff, registers we can work with little pressure and play softly. Done properly, the lips will tingle. Look to add about 1% to 2% per day to your playing time. Doesn't seem like much, but over time it will add up.

Have fun!

4. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Half an hour for a beginner is very good indeed! You are ona good road. Try not to overdo things at the beginning, or you might shred your lips to bits. Instead ofone long practice session per day, doseveral short ones. Practice long, low tones- range and endurance will follow almost automatically. Don't reach for the skies before you have prepared the ground...

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    When I first started back 10 years ago, my warm-up was my workout! I was shot! Nothing you can do but not get frustrated. Long tones go a very long way to help your endurance (pun intended)!

6. chisa

chisa New Friend

Nov 4, 2014
    Manchester, England
    so, stay on the staff is the advice! cheers guys! i have been trying to work on my breathing a lot - i have been looking at a lot of youtube stuff about continuous tone and blowing the length of the horn and embouchure. really exciting but also frustrating to begin on a new instrument, but it is a lot of fun!

7. Msen

Msen Piano User

Dec 28, 2011
    I live in the Horn
    really? high C in a couple of weeks? can you slur to that?

8. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    Check out the stuff by Rowuk here and I recommend all the "mystery to mastery" series, many of which are freely accessible on YouTube. Patience will do the rest.

9. chisa

chisa New Friend

Nov 4, 2014
    Manchester, England
  10. chisa

chisa New Friend

Nov 4, 2014
    Manchester, England
    no i can slur off it! i have just been messing about really finding out where the notes are. the best ascending scale i can do is to G or maybe A above the staff