advice on practice time

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by chisa, Nov 11, 2014.

1. Msen

Msen Piano User

Dec 28, 2011
    I live in the Horn
    Still that's really high for a couple of weeks. That's good for you but probably bad for your lips. Make sure you play low notes after hitting that A above the staff

PS: Isn't Clifford the man :))))

2. chisa

chisa New Friend

Nov 4, 2014
    Manchester, England
    he is!

3. Honkie

Honkie Pianissimo User

Feb 22, 2013
    Something to realize about trumpet, if you are coming from another instrument: one of the reasons trumpet is so difficult to learn is that you can't practice it for hours and hours.

Guitar players and sax players can pretty much practice as much as they please. Even a pro trumpet player would not try to practice 8, 10, 12 hours a day, the way guys like Trane and Dolphy did.

Re: Clifford -- there a video on YouTube where an interviewer asks Clifford how much he practices per day, and he answers, "Two hours." However, I read an interview from someone who played with him (can't recall now), who said that Clifford practiced constantly, fingering the horn without blowing through it.

For me, fingering, working on patterns for improvisation, developing muscle memory -- this can make up for the limitations of the lip. Try it.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Playing trumpet is a fine motor activity for lips/breathing/body use. We don't measure time, rather number repetitions of intelligent movement patterns - just like with the guitar. The difference is that the lips/horn are the sound generator. Synchronizing tongue, lips, brain and ears takes hundreds to thousands of repetitions - just like "mastering" the guitar.

My advice is a lot of long tones, lipslurs and easy tunes like from a fake book or hymnbook. Forget range for the first 6 months or so. Without decent habits built, you only twist everything (face, body, breathing) into a form that lets you "hit" notes but not make music with them. Your face (once decent habits are built) really does not need much more tension than your guitar playing left hand!

I think that you will have much more fun with tunes in the beginning and they will keep your divided practice time in perspective. You could google my "Circle of Breath" here. It is free, easy and works.

5. godsong

godsong Pianissimo User

Mar 2, 2013
    Excellent advice

6. FireandAir

FireandAir Pianissimo User

Aug 12, 2014
    Agreed with Honkie. The best thing about the piano is that you can sit down and literally lose track of time. With the trumpet, you can't. As a beginner, my face decides when it's break time.

I'm finding that I can definitely play two hours a day (on weekends), though ... just not all at once. Five minutes, then a little rest, then another five ... Over the day it adds up. Eventually, I'm hoping that the rest time will grow shorter and shorter.

7. chisa

chisa New Friend

Nov 4, 2014
    Manchester, England
    agreed, i have now started doing this. leaving the horn out and picking it up for 20 minutes doing some scales, arpeggios, and harmonic slurs. putting it down for half an hour and then going back to it for a few mins. seems to be working.