Advice on purchasing trumpets on line Classifieds

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by talcito, Aug 18, 2004.

1. talcito

talcito Piano User

Feb 18, 2004
    Today I entered into an agreement with someone selling their trumpet on another trumpet site. Basically I will be sending them a certified check and once received they will overnight me the horn.

Is this the correct way to handle this transaction? It really does not protect me in any way.

This is the first time I purchase a horn in this manner and am seeking the advise of the members on this forum. Is there a better way to do this transaction?

Thank you!

2. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    Well, at least a certified check is trackable. If they don't send you the horn, then they have committed mail fraud and you can have the postal inspectors look into it (and they will!). It can be a felony.

If you wired money via Western Union or sent cash, that would be a problem.

I like to use PayPal. They offer insurance and are designed for distance transactions. Sure there is a fee, but the security is great. I always ask people if they will take PayPal.

Other than that, it is a game of trust. But usually sending certified funds is somewhat safe. If the person would cash it (trace it back to them) and not send the horn, you have some recourse.

Jim

3. Bourbon City

Bourbon City Pianissimo User

Jun 8, 2004
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Talcito

Like Jim said at the end, it takes an element of trust. I have purchased many items (five items?) the way you have just purchased your trumpet. I have had zero problems. That doesn't say problems don't happen, but I believe in an old saying: "Most people are good."

On that "other trumpet site" I purchased a WJ trumpet case that way. I sent the money order last Friday, the seller received it Monday and sent the case by UPS that same day. I received my case this morning. I had a smooth transaction and I think you will too. The odds are in your favor.

Good luck to you.

4. talcito

talcito Piano User

Feb 18, 2004
    Thanks for the advice.

Just received my Gold Plated V-Raptor via UPS. Its a Beauty!

The only thing I would do differently the next time around is tell my wife BEFORE the UPS man arrived at the door! I tried keeping him around with small talk as long as possible but eventually he left and I had to explain the contents in the mystery box.

As you can imagine I will have some time alone to practise on the new horn tonight!

5. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Since you'll be in the dog-house...are you sure the dog won't object? :lol:

6. talcito

talcito Piano User

Feb 18, 2004
    He only objects to long tones-But so do I!

7. DrunkIQ

DrunkIQ Pianissimo User

Nov 21, 2003
    Austin, Texas
  8. DaveH

DaveH Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    I think that when the element of trust was mentioned above, that hit the nail on the head, so to speak. You must have some trust for some reason, because there is a greater element of risk than buying from a local dealer.

I bought an instrument as a result of an Internet contact, but I felt had reasons to trust the seller. And, I even had the opportunity to talk to the seller on the telephone and had several email contacts.

I also knew exactly what I wanted and what I was buying and more or less, what to expect.

In the end, I have a horn that not only met, but exceeded my expectations at a good price.