Advice on switching mouthpieces

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Passion, Mar 5, 2010.

1. Passion

Passion Pianissimo User

Jun 11, 2009
    So I'm planning on going from 3c to 1c mouthpiece. My mom is getting it next week, but I'm not too sure about making the switch now.

First ill say my reason for switch. Honestly, I'm not doing it for instant wonders to range or whatever. I just feel a bigger mouthpiece would suit my mouth. My mouth isn't ridiculously huge, but I'm black, I think that says enough....

I really don't think the 3c is really right for me. Going from the 5c to 3c really helped alot of things, but I still feel that there's still issues like it's not wide enough in rim to fit both my lips enough and I know another trumpet player whose teacher told him he had big lips and should get a bigger mouthpiece. So he went and got a 1c mouthpiece and said it's a better fit after getting used to it.

Now my worries about switching is that I'm a lead trumpet in a YJO im in and 1st trumpet at school, play 1st in school jazz band on songs the other trumpets cant play, and have auditions coming up. Thing is, I dont have concerts or any significant audition for 5 weeks. Is this a good time to switch?

I wont have a very large amount of time to get used to my mouthpiece really till the end of the year, but that's too late. I think I might be damaging my mouth because my mouthpiece rim, along with the pressure ive been working on getting rid off.

So I'm wondering if I could avoid the embrochure issues from the switch by slurring, pencil exercise, and buzzing on the mouthpiece alot. I really wanna switch next week.

What would you all say. Is 5 weeks enough time if I do those embrochure exeercises? I really really wanna switch mouthpieces next week. I even got the money. But I want advice. My trumpet teacher said that he'd let me try his 1c mouthpiece for awhile before I buy next week too.

Good idea, or no?

2. abtrumpet

abtrumpet Pianissimo User

Nov 14, 2009
    Have you ever played on a 1c before? It takes some more effort to play. Make sure you try before you buy.

I have reasonably big lips and play on a 1 1/4c (not because I have big lips, I like the tone. I feel fine on shallow mouthpieces for lead situations.)

5 weeks should be plenty of time, it's honestly not that big of a change.

Good luck

3. Passion

Passion Pianissimo User

Jun 11, 2009
    Never played 1c before. What does shallow mouthpiece mean?

This kid at my school has a raspy tone on trumpet. He played on his 1 1/2 C mouthpiece because he couldn't find the other one and immediately his tone was way better. So weird, but cool! But then he found his 3c mouthpiece again and didn't use it.

People already say I have a very good intonation. But I think my flexibility will improve, and my tone even better. I really like mellow sound, like wynton Marsalis classical. I listen to him and try to imitate his sound. I do that with other professional players who sound great.

4. EdMann

EdMann Mezzo Forte User

Sep 20, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Lip size and mpc size have nothing to do with each other. I'm sure you know that Clifford played very small mpcs, so did Diz, and Eldridge. Blue Mitchell played on a small Al Cass mpc. My old trumpet teacher with his small lips plays nothing smaller than a 3C. Try your 1C, but you may want to try the 1 1/2C first. It's a fine piece on its own, but not such a hat. I'm quite a bit older than you, but I've always been a switcher: Back in the day it was between a Schilke 15B and 14a4a, later between a 3C size and a 13a4a, now between a Shew Jazz, 1 1/2C, Al Cass 1-27, Heim 2, CG Personal and a Curry 60M. If you play it enough, you get to know it. Enjoy!

ed

Last edited: Mar 5, 2010
  5. missmybaby

missmybaby Pianissimo User

Sep 27, 2009
    Detroit Metro
    Take your teacher up on the mouthpiece loan until you're sure it works for you and your teacher has given you feedback. You may just need something with a slightly wider rim or more rounded cut, so the 1C may not even be what you're looking for. Beware mpc safaris, they get expensive fast! Good Luck.

6. Passion

Passion Pianissimo User

Jun 11, 2009
    If lip size has nothing to do with it, then maybe embrochure my embrochure needs bigger mouthpiece for better flexibility and tone. I dunno. I don't many things about mouth pieces. I have a friend who has 15 and he alternates quite a bit. I do know that's not such a good idea.

Which is better? 1 1/2 c or 1c?

7. Passion

Passion Pianissimo User

Jun 11, 2009
    Please tell me what has a wider rim? 1c rim isn't wider than 3c? What's different then?

8. Passion

Passion Pianissimo User

Jun 11, 2009
    hehe. Maybe I should check some mouthpiece chart on google.

9. missmybaby

missmybaby Pianissimo User

Sep 27, 2009
    Detroit Metro
    3CW would be a wide rim version of what you play now. The kanstul mpc camparitor is a pretty cool reference. I'm not a Bach mpc fan, but YMMV.

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Raise lid of toilet, drop thread in, flush!

Black and lip size has NOTHING to do with mouthpiece size. The reasons to switch mouthpieces are MUCH different. The Bach 5 has the same inner rim size, but a smaller outer rim the 3. That means that there is no additional space for lips - in your wrong way of thinking.

Kanstul Mouthpiece Comparator

The reason that the 3 seems easier is because it is a bit shallower and the bigger rim seems to help when we can't practice as much as we should.

For a student, 1st trumpet in jazz band with a 1C will probably end up being hell. The sound is not "leadish" at all and it will be much more work. The 3c has more "sizzle" and that fits there MUCH better.

A mouthpiece switch in my opinion is best in the summer when you have months, not weeks. I see no reason for you to change though.