Advice on switching mouthpieces

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Passion, Mar 5, 2010.

1. chopshop3625

chopshop3625 New Friend

Feb 28, 2010
    Hey Man!! Play whatever works for you!! Be Careful not to compensate for the switch with bad habits. It could be fast or long. Also don't be tricked by immediate results. Often your lips will be tricked before you adjust to a mouthpiece. I myself went from a shallow piece to a 1C. But then switched to the 1 1/2C. Keep your options open. Trust your instincts and don't worry about the lead playing. Check out Sean Jones. He has everything. And plays in the stratosphere on a 1C!! Hope I can be of help!!

2. Dorabil

Dorabil Pianissimo User

Jul 6, 2009
    Rhode Island
    You know, finding the right mouthpiece is not an overnight fix. There are hundreds of them and what works for me might not work for you and if it works for you on horn A, it might not work on horn B. It took me months to find the right mouthpiece for me. I now only have two or three different ones. Each gives my horn a different sound. My recommendation would be to either borrow various mouthpieces or buy used ones and try those. At least you can sell them and get your money back. If you go out and buy an expensive new mouthpiece on a maybe, you will probably not be satisfied AND my primary rule, "Never change anything for a show.". Use exactly what you have been using in practice.

3. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    I won't repeat all the above comments though I agree with most. A little bit of simplified mouthpiece-embouchure theory:

[​IMG]

I don't believe that larger rim size will give you more flexibility, but sure you will need more endurance to play it consistently.

As you see, deeper cup will probably give you darker sound, while a different shape of the rim may change your ability for consistent articulations and flexibility. However, if you want lead/commercial type of sound, deep cups are not really recommended.

4. Passion

Passion Pianissimo User

Jun 11, 2009
    I just talked to a trumpet professor today. He said 1c wouldnt be such a good idea, but probably 1 1/2 c would be.

What do you all think? Just 1 1/2 c, or 1 3/4 c?

And when I'm older, I dont wanna go into jazz. I like orchestra, brass ensemble, and symphonic band better. I'm in the youth jazz orchestra for the fun of it now, and because I at least want some jazz experience. I might or might not do jazz band in college. It depends on what advice I get about it. Is it crucial I do jazz band if what I want to do in the future is to teach private lessons, and play in community orchestra or some classical groups as a side job. I don't plan to be a full on musician.

When I switch mouth pieces, what I want is to still have a high range, but also increased flexibility and improved tonation. What do you advise?

Last edited: Mar 6, 2010
  5. abtrumpet

abtrumpet Pianissimo User

Nov 14, 2009
    You HAVE to try out as many mouthpieces as you can before choosing one. There is no alternative.

6. Passion

Passion Pianissimo User

Jun 11, 2009
    What do you think of 1 1/2 c. Tell me please.

7. Passion

Passion Pianissimo User

Jun 11, 2009
    Yeah, I know. But I dont wanna make too big of a change now to mess up my playing, Is going from 3c to 1 1/2c a big change. Or would you recommend 3c to 1 3/4c.

And I dont have a bunch of money to constantly buy mouth pieces to try. Thats why Im askin.

8. abtrumpet

abtrumpet Pianissimo User

Nov 14, 2009
    You don't have to buy mouthpieces to try them. You can go to a local music store or perhaps try a friend's/teacher's.

9. Ric232

Ric232 Pianissimo User

Apr 30, 2009
    Coastal GA
    Please forgive us. It is nearly impossible to get people on this forum to give their opinion when you ask for it. They are frozen in fear that their opinion might not be perfectly suitable for you and that you might die or something.

Anyway, going from 3C to 1 1/2C is not a huge change, but it is significant. Your sound will be a little darker, it will be an "easier blow", your range should not suffer, but your endurance will suffer some. If your endurance is good now, I wouldn't worry about that too much. You might find that you'd rather use the 3C for jazz band. BTW, I don't believe there is a 1 3/4C mouthpiece. If you can, order your 1 1/2C from someplace like wwbw.com. You can return it within 14 days for a refund (less a small restocking charge).

BTW, what kind of horn are you playing? If you happen to be playing a Yamaha, consider getting a Yamaha 16C4 instead. It's a 1 1/2C equivalent but the shank fits Yamaha horns a little better. But no big deal either way. If you're partial to Bach, stick with Bach.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2010
  10. a marching trumpet

a marching trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Murfreesboro, TN
    In my view yes, I not anything spectacular ya know, but I went from a 3 to a 1.5, I dont know your lips size, but mine fit a 1.5 more suitably than a 3 (im a white guy) um, it took me about 2 wks to get my range fully back, that was about 3 yrs ago. Um yeah I guess since your a lead and your switching your obviously not crap and know what your doing, so I would give you under 2 wks, I didnt know a thing I was doing when I switched. Hope it goes well for ya. Don' worry about it as my lessons teacher tells people who go to bigger mpcs, "all you can do is get better once you switch to a mpc that conforms more to you" (something like that) happy:play: