Advice on switching mouthpieces

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Passion, Mar 5, 2010.

1. abtrumpet

abtrumpet Pianissimo User

Nov 14, 2009
    As stated before, there is no direct relationship between lip size and mouthpieces.

When you make the change you will be able to play, but are you sure it's what you want? A 1c will generally darken your tone, decrease your endurance and range(not exactly, but it is more difficult to hit high notes with - not ideal for a lead player, obviously).

You don't seem to understand that this varies between every trumpet player alive. But, if you choose to be stubborn and buy without trying out as many as you can, then that's that I guess.

Andrew

missmybaby likes this.
  2. chopshop3625

chopshop3625 New Friend

Feb 28, 2010
    If your interests lie somewhere other than lead playing and you want to play orchestral, then a darker more beautiful sound would be advantageous. Play whatever feels best for you, don't worry about what the teacher says. Think of it this way: The best way to try mouthpieces is with a blindfold on. Then you take the mind-game out of it. For me the difference between the 1C and 1 1/2 C is pretty drastic.

The 1 1/2 C is a comfortable piece. It makes no sacrifices and is well rounded. its everything I want in a piece. Everyone has to find the right balance of musicality, comfort, and playability. For me it is just the right balance of tone, range, endurance, and comfort. In general the Bach pieces are pretty standardized. I've sat down with a 7C, 5C, 3C, and a 1 1/2 C, and found that they all feel relatively similar except for the cup diameter. Interestingly I prefer both the 7C and 5C to the 3C. There are many players that play a 3C or a 1 1/2C.

Its not about what anyone thinks though. I find that switching mouthpieces is easy, but playing the wrong one is impossible. A switch from a schilke 14a4 to a 1C only took a few weeks, but something wasn't right. Then I tried the 1 1/2 and bam.

Keep your mind open. I suggest you go to a good music store (this can be hard to find for trumpet players) and try a bunch of mouthpieces. If you like one, ask to demo it for a week. You'll get a much better idea of the long run on that piece. Thats how I decided on the 1 1/2.

Don't force anything. Have fun!!!

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The 3C and 1 1/2C are very close in feel and playing characteristics. Nobody can predict what will happen with you though. It often takes weeks or months to determine what REALLY a new mouthpiece will help or hurt. We call this early time where everything seems to be wonderful "the honeymoon".

Some of the young players here with "recommendations" post elsewhere about their personal disasters. Take all internet advice with great caution. Things that sound too good to be true most often are!

4. Keith Fiala

Keith Fiala Pianissimo User

Feb 21, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    If you believe that bigger is better because you're black you need to check out Cat Anderson's mouthpiece!

Don't buy into bigger is better. A smaller diameter mouthpiece requires a more focussed and relaxed aperture. If you are in the habit of pinching or tensing in any way, a smaller diameter will immediately feel closed off.

Just my thoughts -

Keith

5. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    The 1 1/2C (in my experience) is deeper and about .003" larger ID than a 3C. The rim is narrower and more rounded than the 3C. (Check Laskey [68C] and Currry [1.5C] web sites for descriptions of their versions.) The 1 1/2C makes me work harder but the reward is a broader tone. I wouldn't use it to play lead in a big band, however, Curry makes a variety of medium and shallow cups with the 1.5 rim and they work well.

6. chopshop3625

chopshop3625 New Friend

Feb 28, 2010
    I just want to say. In no way am I trying to sway you towards change or any particular piece. And yes there is a honeymoon period so proceed with caution.

7. jason_boddie

jason_boddie Piano User

Dec 26, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    Wow, there is alot of good advice and points on this thread. There are certainly alot of threads on mouthpiece changes.

I think the best piece of advice I have read, and it is a reoccuring theme; is you just have to play bigger to see if it works for you. There is no way anyone here, or lacally can tell you a particular mouthpiece is a sure bet for you. I suggest you find a dealer for a particular line of mouthpiece and go and try more than a few of them out. The reeason everyone talks about the Back pieces is most stores carry a couple of them. However, if you want anything more than a 7, 5, 3, or possibly 1 1/2 c even then there aren't a whole lot of options.

I 100% agree with Rowuk, do it over the summer. You never know what will pop up on a new piece that requires some getting used to, or how long it will take to get used to it. In fact, you may not be able to get used to it and have to go back to your your old piece, or try another. Now you would be really stuck, because your auditions would be so close, it might be difficult to make the adjustments.

Just by way of recommendation, I use Warburton mouthpices. You can either find a store who has a large selection, or order directly from Terry. When you order from the factory, you have a 10 day window to return it. So, that is a plus.

8. Passion

Passion Pianissimo User

Jun 11, 2009
    Ok, I will switch in summer.

Now tell me please, should I have to do jazz band in college? I really don't wanna, but if you think it's a necesity that I should, I will. I like classical genre better, and better at it too. I wanna focus on that.

Also, if not get a 1 1/2 mouthpiece now, should I get a mouthpiece more suited for jazz. Since I have a 3c, what can I get that wont be difficult to switch over too that will make lead playing alot easier?

Cause I was thinkin of doing this. Using the jazz mouthpiece for jazz music only. Using my 3c for classical only? Good idea, or terrible?

Please, anyone advice.

9. abtrumpet

abtrumpet Pianissimo User

Nov 14, 2009
    I think you need a teacher. You really don't seem to know a lot about this stuff and if you are going to college for it, you should.

Jazz band in college. You can do this if you enjoy it. It is by NO MEANS mandated. Play whatever genre of music you enjoy.

Depends if you feel comfortable playing on it for jazz. If not, then yes.

10. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    If you're looking for life advice on the internet then you're in trouble. YOU need to decide what you want to do/play in college and in life. Most of the people giving you advice on this thread are the same age as you!

Regarding the mouthpiece selection I'll recommend that you stick with the 3C for everything. You have no clear reason for making any change at this point, so save yourself the time, money, and aggrivation that you'll run into when you switch...