Advice please!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by New2jazz, May 18, 2012.

1. New2jazz

New2jazz New Friend

Apr 25, 2012
    Hi everyone. I'm new to trumpet master and this is my first thread. I'm a classically trained trumpet player who studied in London at LCM/RAM. I'd really like to move over to the jazz side of playing. Could anyone advise if there is a 'bible' book that would help me to learn to improvise etc. I've got a decent technique etc and a basic command of the instrument but I'm clueless when it comes to the dark art ;-) Also I'm thinking of buying a new trumpet as I just sold my strad. Haven't got a massive budget so committes and monettes are off the shopping list. I can blow ok and I've always played a L/B 72 bell strad if that helps

Any advice would be great, thanks in advance

Paul

2. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    Check out a Kanstul 1504, it is a 72/43 built on a ML valve block. Fat sound with a deep mpc, roars with a lead piece.

As for learning improv:
    There are lots of great web based resources, and also computer tools for play-alongs. iRealB is a cool Android app for this. Garage Band, or Band IN a Box.
    Get a Bb Real Book (full of standard tunes, heads and changes).
    Listen to classic soloists (Brownie, Satchmo, Woody, Chet, Dizzy, etc...) transcribe and play those.
    SING a solo into a voice recorder, transcribe it and play it!

3. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Lots of good advice will likely be given by many people. Here's my two cents.

When I wanted to learn to improvise, I used the Aebersold CD's (they were albums at that time). Volume 1, 2, and 3 would cover a lot of the fundamentals. I'd also get a copy of Aebersold's free jazz handbook. You can download it, or get it for free with any order from them.

There are many other good things, as jiarby suggested -- listen to music, transcribe solos, play with others, scales and jazz patterns, etc., all of which you will likely get into. But regarding your specific question ("if there is a 'bible' book that would help me to learn to improvise"), what got me started were the Aebersold CD's.

Mike

Last edited: May 18, 2012
  4. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Nothing will help you learn jazz better than transcribing solos, getting a good teacher, and playing with others.

5. Haste2

Haste2 Piano User

Jun 16, 2010
    IMO, the hierarchy of importance in improvising is:

1)Style
    2)Rhythm
    3)Sound
    4)Everything else (chord changes, patterns, etc.)

Well, #s 1-3 could be in any order, perhaps.... but, really, I would say rhythm and sound both contribute to the "style". Not that I'm that good at improv, so take my advice with a huge grain of salt.

6. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Why did you sell your Strad? What about it didn't you like? We need to know that in order to help with advice that might really be helpful.

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    The school of hard knocks, lots of practicing improv against a great jazz station, jamming whenever you can with seasoned cats at local clubs, and buy yourself a couple sets of Real Books IN THE KEY OF C and learn to transpose, 'cause many times a keyboardist will call a tune only s/he had the music for, and you will have to read off his stand. As far as I know, non-digital keyboards only play in the key of C.

And for desert... Humble Pie... The seasoned cats work better with a newbie that serves up Humble Pie... [and single Malt]

8. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    there are so many good jazz horns out there, so knowing your budget limit helps in advising. Fron Vintage Olds Recordings or Supers, Selmers, Courtois, Besson, Schilke, Calicchio, Callet Jazz, Kanstul Chicago, Getzen or Benges. Even Yamaha Shew Model is a good horn. Stomvi makes good horns as well. There are good English horns, The Eclipse, Taylors, and Smith Watkins to consider, but are rarer to find used or cheap. I would do as suggested and play as many songs and listen, buy as many music books as possible on Jazz Classics. There is a thread on Jazz Classics here which is very informative. I believe Trent Austin started it. BTW Trent Austin has his own shop Austin Custom Brass and might have just what the doctor ordered. Feel free to PM him on this site. I'm sure he would be glad to help out.

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    With your prescription, and filing a claim with my healthcare company (Anthem) do you think that LB Committee of yours would be covered on my medical plan? If so, you've got a sale!!

10. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    Nah, good thought tho' Back in the good old days it probably would have tho' Ain't that a shame!