Advice when attending conferences

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpetsplus, Dec 17, 2014.

1. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Don't base your current opinion on outdated information
    Nothing to Do With the Edsel

So, you are planning to attend a trumpet convention.

Wonderful!

I am sure there will be many great players featured.

Fantastic concerts.

And many great teachers.

There may also be the opportunity to sit in on Masterclasses.

You will be rubbing shoulders with other trumpet enthusiasts.

All of these will make your attendance worth while. But there is more to be gained…..

There are other enthusiasts who also take the time and make the effort to attend. These are the vendors. They are there to keep you up to date on their latest products which may be greatly different from previous offerings you have seen.

The people at Ford would be horrified if you were giving an opinion of their current vehicles having only ever driven the Edsel!

If you are a teacher, or are ever likely to have your opinion sought on any piece of equipment, you owe it to your students to familiarize yourself with what is available.

You may be pleasantly surprised by new offerings from companies whose products you thought you knew.

2. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    But...even if you drive a Mustang around the block, that's not enough of a test drive to know if you'll like it on the highway...

3. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    I always love playing the various trumpets. Now buying one, that's a different story..

4. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    I don't understand the need for that original post. Is there a problem that's gone unresolved or that is so big it needs special attention?

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Yes, at fairs there are all sorts of people that you can talk to. That can be good if you have stable playing and a good physical concept. Then it is possible to sort out what you are being told.

There is a lot of "bad" information however freely available. I always recommend that teachers and students go together.