Advice when trying out this trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by a marching trumpet, Mar 21, 2010.

1. a marching trumpet

a marching trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Murfreesboro, TN
    So, I'm already familier with how the strads play and everything, so I'm curious as to those of you who had strads and then bought Lawlers. My dad is planning for a trip up there one day and if I like the Lawler then I'll sell off my strad to help pay for it etc. If you had a strad and then went to a Lawler (specifically a model T) then what were changes you noticed when you played? In your view is it worth the switch?

2. a marching trumpet

a marching trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Also, from you guys that have them, what should I listen for when trying it, also, how is the center of pitch on each note like?

3. Jarrett

Jarrett Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Richland, MO
    Dude, anything you get on here is strictly opinion. I've been playing a Strad for 20+ years and owned numerous custom horns that I've paid lots of money for. I always end up coming back. Trumpets are just different. Bach's are good horns, so are Yamahas, Eclipses, Lawlers, Monettes, etc.... just play what you like.

Play it.

If you like it, buy it.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    My advice ist to eliminate the idea that it is better. Then you insert mouthpiece, preferably blindfolded and blow. Switch back and forth preferably in a decent sized room with good acoustics. And then believe yourself.

I think your mind is made up, so stop asking and just spend the money. Your scenario is complete without proof. If you lie to yourself, how can we help?

The pitch center on every horn is different and it takes time to get used to it. The pros that use Bachs aren't missing more notes than the ones using Lawler. So forget the BS. Play the thing and make up YOUR own mind.