Advice would be nice, lovely Trumpetmaster guys and gals!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by cantplaytrumpet, May 27, 2012.

1. cantplaytrumpet

cantplaytrumpet Pianissimo User

Apr 2, 2012
    Hey y'all, I've recorded some videos of me playing the trumpet (unfortunately not very well), and I was looking for some advice on how I was going to improve my tone, overall quality of the notes and anything else you would like to point out. I still class myself as a beginner and am currently just working on the basics, so put your words in nice, friendly beginner language please. :) If I am playing the trumpet blatantly wrong, do not hesitate to correct me. But nothing like 'You are rubbish, give up!' Haha, although I hope it won't come to that. Sorry, I'm rambling... :p
    Here are the videos:
    Blue Skies Trumpet - YouTube
    Greensleeves - YouTube
    Thank you all very much in advance. :)

2. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    I'll just say you sound pretty good for a beginner. Nicely done videos ..... Excellent job, you've come to the right place for advice. It'll be along soon .... :thumbsup:

Turtle

3. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Ok - your tone will develop beautifully from a good base like the one you demonstrate here. Remember we have ALL been where you are now.

Breathing, and focus, will drive your improvement.

May I make one suggestion for change (I believe you should try to change only one thing at a time) - get your trumpet bell up so that your trumpet is nearly parallel with the floor - start a long tone and hold it as you raise the bell - listen for the change (improvement) in tone. Most trumpeters struggle to see the music around the trumpet - try looking below your hands not over the trumpet. The trumpet needs to face the audience - not the floor. Now you have the basis to start work on your breathing. Let us know how you go.

4. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Funny you should post a link to Greensleeves - I had just mentioned it yesterday in this post:

http://www.trumpetmaster.com/vb/f131/help-fingering-notes-trumpeters-lullaby-67511-2.html#post638553

This is a hard tune to get right so that it is nice to listen to. I tend to try and play it in the style of a lady singing it smoothly with a pure sweet voice. Here is a youtube recording of somebody playing it extremely well which you might like to listen to to pick up tips on getting the timing and flow right. This version does head off into variations territory and I am principally referring to the opening section.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YYgSG99Vlk

General thoughts listening to your playing are that I think you need to improve your breathing as a good start and work on starting notes without tonguing so hard (or at all). I hope you are getting good lessons from somebody who has put you on a good learning programme. Ultimately I presume you want to sound to others and yourself just like you would want to listen to yourself, so it is important to listen carefully to the music you produce and let that feed back through your brain to control the changes you make in your playing to make it sound close to that. A teacher will provide the guidance, which is most likely better than you (a) making random changes and (b) discovering very late that some of your changes were bad for you.

--bumblebee

5. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    Your most urgent problem to solve, after improving your breathing, will be to change that name : cantplaytrumpet sounds too humble, really! :play:

6. D.C. Al fine

D.C. Al fine Banned

May 8, 2012
    USA
    I was going to say 2 things, the first was above about your horn angle. The second, do you have a private teacher? If not, what are you doing in your school to help learn?

7. cantplaytrumpet

cantplaytrumpet Pianissimo User

Apr 2, 2012
    Ah thanks guys, you're all very helpful. And thanks for the wonderful compliment Dupac! :) But possibly could y'all be more specific on what you mean by 'breathing'? Does it mean I'm blowing too hard, too soft or is it to do with when I'm breathing in? I'm sorry, it's probably obvious... :dontknow:
    I have quite a big overbite so that could be what is causing my to blow towards the floor. Much higher than that and I can't play at all.
    I do not have a private teacher, as I'd have to travel quite a way (none in my area) and according to my parents, it costs too much.
    More advice is always welcome too. :-)

8. D.C. Al fine

D.C. Al fine Banned

May 8, 2012
    USA

Try sticking your bottom jaw out just a little and put some space between your teeth. This will give you a better tone and hopefully help with that angle.

Its okay about the private teacher, instead of asking for the next best video game for you birthday/christmas/whatever say you want some lessons. Trust me, they will help you as they do to everyone taking lessons.

9. ultratrumpet

ultratrumpet Piano User

Jul 10, 2009
    Old Lyme, Connecticut
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  10. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    Sounds good for a beginner ! Your timing and phrasing are pretty good. Think and practice more along the lines of how the notes should be started to sound the best with movement from one note to the next. You have all the notes, now put them together more fluidly. You're doing fine.