Advice would be nice, lovely Trumpetmaster guys and gals!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by cantplaytrumpet, May 27, 2012.

1. bach37

bach37 Pianissimo User

Dec 1, 2011
    Very nice job on the videos. Takes courage to take criticism from colleagues. And if anyone says you sound like rubbish should be banned. Looks like there is tension in the breath. And that means exactly what is says. The breath should be as relaxed as possible(and then some). Breath low and what I mean by that is taking the breath below the belly button. It should feel as low as possible. It should feel as if your belly is bloated and you will feel it around to the lower back as well. The reason why we take it low is to keep the chest and throat relaxed. The diaphram should be the only thing moving the air. Everything else just gets in the way. When you put air in the horn it should flow from you very relaxed. There are a couple great videos on youtube showing this. Don Jacoby "Jake" Trumpet Clinic - YouTube This one is by Don "Jake" Jacoby. It's just audio only. But he really nails it. The other is an impromtu lesson by Jim Manly Jim Manley - Approach to Air & Airmen of Note trumpets - YouTube Very awesome demonstration. Just shows not only how but why.

2. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
  3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    The melody of Greensleeves is again found in the Christmas carol of What Child Is This FYI.

Yes, I too believe you're on the right road toward achievement as will come in time. The jaw forward movement should alleviate the overbite condition but I can suggest you don't maximize this suddenly. The fundamentals of breath cannot be over emphasized and the reference to Rowuk is optimum. I'm hearing a ticking that seems concurrent with valve action and hope it is not more than a metronome too close to your microphone.

4. fraserhutch

fraserhutch Mezzo Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Novato, CA, USA
    I'm with Chuck. IMHO you have a really nice tone to build from.

DO NOT WORRY about the angle of your horn or anything like that. It's too early in the game for tweaks like that, again, MHO.

Work towards thinking of the phrase instead of individual notes.

Good work!

5. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    Looks to me as though you need to work on breathing. For one thing don't raise your shoulders when you breathe. Breathe using the diaghram. Another words to simplify when you take a breath make your stomach big and hard. Most importantly find a good teacher and let them help you.

6. fraserhutch

fraserhutch Mezzo Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Novato, CA, USA
    "Another words to simplify when you take a breath make your stomach big and hard. "

I would hope that hter are MANY here who would take issue with that statement: it may work for you, and it may work for other (perhaps even advanced students). It will just serve to muck that waters for new players, IMHO.

To the OP: please disregard any advice here that would cause you to add tension to the system. Proper air support will come on its own - you definitely do not want to artificially introduce it.

I think for where you are you are doing fine. IMHO you are a good candidate for a system such as those offered by Eric Bolvin: http://www.bolvinmusic.com/publications6.html.

Please keep in mind that (in my opinion anyways) 50% of the players here don't have going for them what you have going for you.

Last edited: May 27, 2012
  7. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    one other thing on angle --- many point the trumpet down at an angle, especially when reaching for higher notes (you can see that on other peoples youtube vids) --- -- and the theory and practicality of that is, you take pressure off the top lip, and it is freer to vibrate (which it needs to do in the higher range also) ----THOUGH you are not in higher ranges (at this time) -- I believe the angle down is actually alleviating any "pressure" that you might otherwise be putting on your lips via the "overbite" --- I mean you check yourself in the mirror and such, but I believe you are compensating to "put less pressure" on the lips --- which is a good thing --- and a lot of trumpet playing comes with "time and practice, and patience with yourself" ----You didnt' say how long you were as a beginner -- but I agree with most here --- if you are just starting the trumpet, I think you are doing OK! -- IMHO --- but lessons with a decent music teacher, could possibly alleviate your "thoughts" --- that you are, or rather, CANT play the trumpet --------------you need to start thinking positively --- MY GOODNESS FRIEND --- YOU ARE A TRUMPET PLAYER!!!!!!!!!!! and what can be better than that?????

8. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    Ok, now that the specifics are out of the way, lets talk about the most important part of trumpet playing, not the lips or the diaghram, but the grey matter inside of that big mellon of yours. Like the song says, "dance like nobody is watching", so play "like nobody is listening". When you stop being afraid to make a mistake and relax and just sing the song through the horn....oh my how the tone will improve. You sound just great in the vidios and if you were playing "FEARLESSLY" you would have wowd us all. As a beginner you just need time, practice, CONFIDENCE, and experience. All of us here have our bad days (or maybe our good days) and sound just like you do now, but as long as you are moving foreward and improving, dont sweat the small stuff. Everyone in the bands I play in right now know that Im not afraid to make a mistake, and I do so on a regular basis, but Im having fun and owning every note I play. Relax and play the song from the heart, no matter what the song is, it will sound better.

I heartily agree with those above, you need to change your screen name. I assure you that you are not the worst player here. We old hacks take turns wearing that crown. Please find something less demeaning for your sake, and Best Wishes.

9. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    This is so true. I record my practice sessions now and hardly even think about the recorder now (matter of habit) but when I started doing this I noticed a kind of "performance anxiety" at first - especially when I was recording to a big reel tape rather than using a digital recorder. Also, practising with people you can trust to respect you and your efforts can help you shed any angst you may be carrying as well as giving you voiced and unvoiced feedback. You will discover that your fellow players respond better to confident playing on your part rather than tentative playing. And that feeds back in to your playing. :-)

Aside: can we even change usernames on TM?

--bumblebee

10. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    I've been teaching trumpet for 34 years. So are you ready? First it's hard to gauge where you are as I don't know how long you've been playing. But I hear ans see a lot right with what you m are doing. I hear a good center in your sound with some resonance. This comes from good air use. You have good breath control because you play long phrases. Your embouchure looks good and I don't see any "overbite issues. You just need to hold the horn up. But it doesn't need to be parallel to the floor. Most pros don't play that way. Of course your tonguing could be refined but it sounds like you are doing it correctly.

Lessons would help you develop what you have. If there isn't someone qualified how about web cam lessons. maybe you could try some for the summer.