Advise on Trumpet choice..

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by miguelradio, Feb 16, 2009.

1. miguelradio

miguelradio New Friend

Feb 16, 2009
    Sarasota, FL
    Hello,
    a newbie here. Well I have not picked up a horn for about 7 years now, but am ready to begin playing again. At the time I stopped playing, I would have considered myself an intermedite level player. I am looking for suggestions on horns that would be suitable for me.
    My favorite player has always been Miles, followed closely by Arturo Sandoval. Though I know I could never play remotely close to their levels....this is the kind of style and sound I'm looking to play. Money is really not a problem, but i don't want to buy a horn that is too advanced for my skill level....am I making any sense here :)

Any input would be welcomed with open arms.

Best Wishes- Michael

2. CHAMP

CHAMP Piano User

Nov 16, 2005
  3. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    On the far side of Orlando from you, in Oviedo, is Gerry Lopez Music. He knows trumpets and has both new and used horns, starting around $400. You didn't say what your budget is, but if you can play at all (still) then it would be worth your time to go there, about 2 1/2 hours each way, and play a few different horns.

Gerry Lopez Music : Home

Give him a call before you go.

veery

4. miguelradio

miguelradio New Friend

Feb 16, 2009
    Sarasota, FL
    that really sounds like a fine idea..... 2 1/2 hrs is no big deal. So do you think his prices are fair? I would prefer a vintage horn than a new one, I don't have a budget ..I'd pay $4K if I liked the trumpet enough. I don't mind traveling even further if anyone knows of a fine shop that usually has many vintage horns for me to play around with..
    By The way I thank-you both for you quick advise!
    Michael

5. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Lopez is your best bet to start. His website lists 7 used horns, and has Bach, Schilke, Fides (good horns from Germany), Yamaha, and Eastman. If you want to spend $4k he's got a fancy Fides at that price. He also has an Eric Mayashiro Yamaha which is a super horn at about $2300. You can go there and play every horn he's got, which means about 15 new and used. That's a pretty good trumpet smorgasbord. If you have a trumpet playing friend take him/her along. That way you can get their feedback on how you sound in front of the horn, and they can play them for you too.

If you don't buy a horn on that trip you will at least come away with a much better idea of what the differences are and what you really want in a horn. Wish I could fly down and go with you. It's cold up here!
    veery

6. miguelradio

miguelradio New Friend

Feb 16, 2009
    Sarasota, FL
    yeah gonna make that trip to Lopez next week I think.....I'll let you know how it goes.
    Cold? Yeah I had my fill of it living in MI for most of my life...never again!
    Thank-you again!

7. Bachstul

Bachstul Mezzo Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Beginner and intermediate horns are designed to be affordable yet EXCEED the players skill level as a beginner.

You always want a horn that is too advanced for your skill level so it will be there when you "Crack it Open". Same thing goes with a good camera.

Buy something you can grow into, and you'll find those horns cooperate much easier too, with out resistance : you'll be so immediately surprised. It will become your "baby". You'll love it.

8. GTO

GTO New Friend

Feb 25, 2009
    Hi Miguel,

Newb here too. I'd love to know how the experience at Gerry Lopez went. I'm in the market for a new horn and Tampa doesn't have a good selection of horns to try.

Thanks,
    Luis

9. Rushtucky

Rushtucky Pianissimo User

Sep 15, 2008
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Being that you live in Sarasota, there are plenty of music stores in your area. Go to one of them and check out the brands and how they feel instead of running all the way up to Tampa. Also go online and check out the brands and specs.

A great source to get information on just about every trumpet made is BrassReview.com. It will give you all of the specs, player reviews and pricing. You can not ask for more all rolled up on one site.

10. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Hi miguelradio,
    One of the first steps in mastering something is to find a hero (or better stated someone you admire)and to do your best to be like them.
    I did just that very thing. When I was in high school, all I wanted to do was to sound like Maynard. I bugged, hassled, pleaded, prayed for a Holton MF Horn. Heck, I was doing all my chores without being asked!! That's how bad I wanted one.
    Well, our high school had Maynard come to our school and back then (1970's) Maynard would almost always have a couple of MF Horns with him. My band director bought one of Maynard's horns and about a month later sold it to to my parents who then gave it to me. (I'm still doing chores for my folks for that trumpet but that's another story)
    I then proceeded to do my best to sound like Maynard. By my senior year I was an unmistakable MF clone.
    Here's where it gets interesting. As time went on, I continued to play like MF but gradually began to try and sound like other people, Doc, Dizzy, Clark, Mendez, etc.
    Then I began to listen to Miles. Back when I was in high school I hated Miles and figured my balls were to big to play that whimpy. However, in time my ears opened up and I began to hear what Miles was saying on the horn. Well, I found yet another hero. So,where am I now?
    The audience says I sound like nobody else they've ever heard and have a unique sound. What I hear when I play is a blend of all the people I called hero at one time or another. I'm just a musical mutt with a MF Horn.
    Answer? Go with the trumpet that either Arturo plays or Miles played (Miles played a pre 1960's Martin Committee and not a new Martin Committee).