Aerobic Conditioning

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by seilogramp, Jan 17, 2010.

1. seilogramp

seilogramp Piano User

Nov 23, 2009
    Georgia, USA
    I've been running since '94. Ran several marathons and typically run 40 to 50 miles per week, with a long run in the 10 to 20 mile range. Obviously it is great for overall health and well-being. Keeps me mentally focused as well. I don't mean to be harsh, but looking at the YouTube videos with some incredibly talented trumpet players:worthy:, I'm not seeing a correlation between aerobic conditioning and brass playing. There are other factors that contribute more directly to playing a wind instrument. Maybe the time I'm out running the trails, these super talented trumpet players are spending that time practicing more. Guess you really can't have too many obsessions going on simultaneously.

2. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

Its probably good for your overall health more than the extra practicing would
    If you spend the same number of hours practicing, but add exercise you would probably improve, but no, exercise is not a substitute for practicing

3. seilogramp

seilogramp Piano User

Nov 23, 2009
    Georgia, USA
    Oh yes, I realize that. Not looking to avoid practicing. Just noticing that aerobic conditioning may have little, if any, impact on wind instrument performance. Wondering if anyone could comment on that or direct me to some studies.

4. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

I would think that it would, just not as much as practicing

If you're already maximizing time on the horn then running, etc. regularly would probably help a bit.

5. tipo mastr

tipo mastr New Friend

Jun 6, 2009
    I havent done a whole lot of aerobic conditioning, but from my experience, the most marked influence that being in shape is in the intangibles. for instance, things like confidence, mental stability, etc have improved in my playing since getting into shape.

Yes, practicing is good too, but i would rather be a fit trumpet player than a weak trumpet player =P

6. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I can assume that you have seen my vids. I do have a weight problem but have lost 40 lbs in the past year. I definitely feel that the aerobic conditioning I'm doing (just did 23 miles on my bike) is helping my playing. Yeah I got a long way to go but I feel my playing is better due to the fact that I'm exercising far more than I have in the past.

wishing I was down another 40 lbs but am working on it daily.

-T

7. Pete

Pete Piano User

Nov 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    Phil,

IMHO aerobics will help your physical endurance more than execution of playing the trumpet. Using compression of the air to play the trumpet is much more subtle than breathing while running. Both activities are physical, but in different ways. It's like comparing soccer to baseball. Aerobics is obviously good for your overall health though. And as you mentioned, keeps you mentally focused.

Trent, be kind to yourself. A fine accomplishment in a year's time.

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    we need to keep a couple of things in mind.
    Fine motor control is what allows our faces/embouchure to work correctly. Aerobics don't help here, a good routine does. There are plenty of fine trumpet players VERY overweight and in suboptimal physical condition. That places them at greater risk for career-ending things like heart attacks and strokes or potential troublemakers like high blood pressure and cholesterine.

"things like confidence, mental stability, etc have improved in my playing since getting into shape."

I would add, if you are exercizing, keep a melody in your head to preserve rhythm.

If you get your lung efficiency up with aerobics, you still need to learn and train that BIG breath taken in smoothly with a clean transition to the exhale state. Habits are built with thousands of repetitions. That is the "secret" to success.