AFM...when should i join

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpetman3000, Jun 3, 2007.

1. trumpetman3000

trumpetman3000 New Friend

Dec 15, 2005
    I am a college student. Many people have told me to register with the american federation of musicians to become a performer. Many people have also told me I don't need to. What is everyone's thoughts on the AFM? Thanks!

2. Siegtrmpt

Siegtrmpt Mezzo Piano User

Nov 21, 2005
    Virginia
    A lot depends on where you live and the type of gigs you play or aspire to play. It's really too difficult to generalize because union influence and representation varies tremendously from local to local. If the jobs where you live or want to live require union membership then joining is a given. In some places the union really only represents the full time symphony or bigger entertainment venues and seem to have little interest or influence on the local music scene. Size up the situation where you live to make an informed decision.

3. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    For most people it's nothing more then a club where you make contacts. It doesn't cost that much so I say join. In my local there are parades and church processions that no one wants to play so you could pay your dues with that money.

The union did get money for me a few times when I could have lost it.

My last word, join.

4. trumpetman3000

trumpetman3000 New Friend

Dec 15, 2005
    thanks!