After all these years I realize I suck!!!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by PhatmonB6, Jun 15, 2005.

1. PhatmonB6

PhatmonB6 Mezzo Piano User

Jan 16, 2005
    Minnesota
    This has always been an issue for me...lip buzzing. When I buzz it is the same pitch tone whatever you want to call it .it us just a buzzing sound .

click on this link then click on video and scroll down to Mossman on controlled airstream.......So if I want to play decent trumpet I have to be able to do that!!! :-o

http://www.yamahaartistmodel.com/index2.html

2. brian moon

brian moon Forte User

I agree. Free lip buzzing is a waste of time unless you absolutely can't get a sound out of the horn.

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Free lip buzzing is one of those subjects that is always controversial – some people REALLY believe in it, and some people think that it is a complete waste of time. I’ve never done it. I have always preferred to simply practice the trumpet on the trumpet. I have tried buzzing the mouthpiece and I have tried buzzing the leadpipe too, but for me, I find that my buzz adapts to get the best resonance out of those things and unfortunately, for me it seems to have a detrimental effect on my playing of the whole trumpet.

I just speak from my own personal experience, however, considering that these days I’m just your every day weekend warrior trumpet player, it might not be too wise to put a lot of stock in my opinion on the matter.

4. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Is "free buzzing" buzzing without the mouthpiece or rimpiece?

ML

5. brian moon

brian moon Forte User

Yes Manny. I called it that because I have seen a bunch of people on the internet refer to it as such.

6. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    As far as I know, free buzzing is lips only, and that is what the video was showing when I turned it off.

7. Ryan

Ryan New Friend

Jun 13, 2005
    Nebraska
    I did like the video of Krauss talking about a resonant sound, that was a nice lecture.

8. NickD

NickD Forte User

fwiiw coming from me...

I will agree lip buzzing is controversial. Personally, it has helped me a great deal. I still do it, every day. I do limit the time considerably more than I did when I first started. I do about 2 to 5 minutes (max!) at the beginning of my practice session.

I have some sound clips of my doing this (no video yet - sorry - I hope to have some by the end of the summer) at my ampcast.com site. You'll need to scroll way down to just more than halfway throught the 130 or so files there. I have several little title there under a sub section "trumpet lectures."

Mouthpiece Peel Away
    Lip Buzzing
    Ring Visualizer
    Minimum mouthpiece pressure

There are some more things there, Feel free to scrounge around. Now this boders on camp humor as things get pretty flatulent sounding, but if there is anything there that can help, I can deal with the giggles.

Here is the main link:
    http://www.ampcast.com/NickDrozdoff

Now, I have tuncated my routine from what I demonstrate here.

Can this stuff work for you? Maybe. Is it wrong to do it - a waste of time? Well, it wasn't for me. Remember, EVERYONE is different and we all internalize and learn things in different ways. I will definitley concede that some folks will not benefit form this. However, I was so pleased to see Mossman's video. At least I'm not alone! ;-)

Peace.

Nick

9. dcstep

dcstep Mezzo Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    Denver
    Re: fwiiw coming from me...

Rich Szabo does it also. He free buzzes a note, then puts the mpc to his lips while buzzing and it sounds the same pitch, then he inserts the mpc into the horn while buzzing and it sounds the same pitch.

Dave

10. pangaea

pangaea Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2003
    I began studying with a Reinhardt teacher this year (after playing for 35 years)...he's having me do a fairly specific form of buzzing. Reinhardt advocated buzzing for downstream players...in my case (I'm a IIIA) I'm doing a lot of "walking-in" excercises, where you buzz a pitch, and without shifting the embouchure at all, play the pitch.

This exercise alone has been greatly beneficial to me--it has increased my power, range, and endurance, and decreased my pressure.

This kind of free buzzing should only be done downstream--and not below G in the staff.

It's one more tool that can be beneficial to some players. It's neither a complete waste of time or a blanket cure-all.

It's like pedals--helpful to some, not to others. When I started studying with a Reinhardt teacher a few months back I quit doing pedals at all, per Reinhardt's teachings. Prior to this I had been doing them daily, as part of a Caruso routine. When doing pedals I had a solid range that topped at about high G. The A was very hard to slot. After dropping pedals and doing the Reinhardt stuff my range shot up by a major third.

Of course, a lot of this stuff is hard to untangle--was it the pedals that limited me? is it the free buzzing that's helping? hard to say--but the lesson for me has been that a more focused aperture has greatly helped me.