After beats

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Trumpet1Ohio, Jul 23, 2011.

1. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    A technique I've heard is to 'play' the on beats through the nose. Sort of like a quiet hum and then articulate the off beat. Oom through the nose, Pah through the mouthpiece

Having played tenor horn in Brass bands for over 20 years, I know a bit about off beat playing.

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I have my students play 8ths on the beat and off the beat, step two is to accent the off beat, step three is to group two sets of these on/offbeats together only tapping the foot on the first 8th. Finally, we don't play the unaccented note.

Perfect practice makes perfect. Train this with a metronome or even better, cheap keyboard with rhythm maschine.

3. Trumpet1Ohio

Trumpet1Ohio Piano User

Jun 22, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    Thanks for all the great suggestions. I worked with a metronome yesterday and feel somewhat better already. I'll keep at it.

4. catello

catello Pianissimo User

Dec 14, 2009
    Winter Park, FL
    I play my Conn F-Horn (with trumpet mouthpiece) in a couple of local community bands. Playing up-beats (how I always refered to them) is the staple of our parts, especially in marches. The tuba is my guide here. I listen to what they are playing, then just play when they're not. Getting a stable, consistent, rhythm going between the lower "oom" and the higher "pah" is the goal.