After Market Valves?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by TriChord, Jun 29, 2011.

1. TriChord

TriChord New Friend

Jun 21, 2011
    Hey guys, this might be a stupid question, but I couldn't find it when I searched.

Are there such things as replacement valves? Like by the same company specifically for your trumpet model? or like other brand ones also?

2. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Some manufacturers will sell replacement valves, some won't.
    In those cases rebuilding the valves is the way to go.

3. TriChord

TriChord New Friend

Jun 21, 2011
    Ohh! Thanks for the answer. I was just curious hehe.

4. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Regarding the second part of your question. it may be possible to order a set of valves from a manufacturer such as Kanstul. But, it would then require mounting the bell and leadpipe from your original trumpet and since they were not designed to work together, there will very likely be issues with pipes diameters not fitting and also intonation issues due to mismatches in the overall length of the resonant chamber. Trumpets are carefully designed for all parts to work together so this may be a costly way to create a "frankenhorn" which does not play well. But, you never know until you try.

5. TriChord

TriChord New Friend

Jun 21, 2011
    That's very interesting! I had a feeling that it would be hard to modify such important stock parts in a trumpet such as the valves. I don't think I have the money or time to create a frankenhorn haha. Thanks :) Just a question out of curiosity!

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    There is no really attractive market for extra valves. The only reason that someone would want to build these things is if they can sell them. Students are more interested in cheap, collectors in original and pros have artisans that treat the horn with the proper respect.