After not practicing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trmpt_plyr, Jul 8, 2009.

1. trmpt_plyr

trmpt_plyr Pianissimo User

Jun 12, 2009
    US
    There are some days when I can't practice, and I feel weird when I start practicing again. My embrouchure is denser, and I have trouble producing higher notes. When does this usually go away?

2. Hoghorn

Hoghorn Pianissimo User

Dec 30, 2008
    Manitowoc Wi.
    Proper practice, and lots of it, will take care of this for you.

3. Phil Kersh

Phil Kersh Pianissimo User

Feb 28, 2008
    Provo, Utah
    Remember that your lips are like any other muscle. When you use it for any extended period of time, they will suffer the same periods of fatigue and stress like any other. I find that proper warm-ups and warm-downs go a long way to keeping my lips circulating the oxygen, which is necessary to maintain endurance and allow the lips (muscles) to heal and regenerate after a workout.

4. Pete

Pete Piano User

Nov 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    On the rare occasions that I don't practice, I usually have a mouthpiece with me in the car or wherever I might be. I have a Kelly mouthpiece in my car all of the time. While driving I do the Bobby Shew fluttering, lip buzzing, and mouthpiece buzzing, 3-4 minutes at a time then stop. I just use it as a check to see where my chops are at, or before a gig when I know I won't have time to warm up. There are many things you can do if you don't have time to put the horn on your face.

The best thing is to not miss playing though. Even if you can only play 15 minute segments, 4-6 times during the day, you will benefit. That's 1 to 1.5 hours of practice. You do not have to sit and play for blocks of 1-5 hours straight to get something done.You will also be playing on fresh chops always. Time management and prioritizing the segments is important.

Pete

5. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    It goes away when you keep practicing on a regular basis...

6. Bachstul

Bachstul Mezzo Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    After some time, you will crave it, playing the trumpet, just like a weight lifter craves working out, or a cross country runner craves running. It's all about physical fitness, and daily mind body habits, ask any smoker. Yes, there is a lot of physical fitness tied to trumpet playing.

Higher notes? are you pressuring yourself? I'd suggest following articulations more so than worrying about high notes anyway.

I was always impressed by chromatics and those who could read more keys than others, practice scales in all the major keys.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2009