After practice/ playing cleaning

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by anthony, Feb 22, 2016.

1. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
    I was wondering if a lot of you clean your horns after you finished practice or a gig .
    I had a Sax player friend who after each gig no matter how late he would clean his sax, flute and clarinet. I have also read on TM one player mentioned he cleans his main tuning slide and lead pipe after he practices .Anyone else do this I myself think it's a great idea
    Anthony

2. seilogramp

seilogramp Piano User

Nov 23, 2009
    Georgia, USA
    I do. Typically, I will at least clean out the lead pipe and main tuning slide with either a GEM swab or an HW trumpet brush. Sometimes I'll also pull out the other slides and run the brush thru those as well.

3. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
    Yes! the HW trumpet brush is really good you can clean the whole trumpet with it.

4. Lukarino

Lukarino Pianissimo User

Dec 8, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    What I do is I polish (using my cloth to remove fingerprints and such) my trumpet and oil the valves mostly every day, and use the silver cloth (a different cloth) to polish the silver plate about once every week. As for actual cleaning, I run one of those spitballs through the horn every month or so, and I give it a proper bath every few months. I lubricate the slides whenever I feel like they need it. At school I wash my mouth out before I play, and at home I brush my teeth before I practice.

At least, that's what works for me.

5. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    The best brush you can use it a toothbrush on your teeth, followed by flossing. I do this routine before I play, and that enables me to avoid having to do much cleaning of the horn. It keeps my dental expenses down, too. I sip water throughout a session to reduce the effect of any saliva that may end up in the horn. I wipe the inside of the mouthpiece with a rolled-up tissue tapered to fit the backbore. Once a week I put two Herco Spitballs through the horn, one with the valves up and one with the valves down. I thoroughly wipe down the horn with the appropriate cloth for lacquer and silver before it goes in the case. I monitor the inside of the leadpipe once a month, and I find it may need brushing out every six months or so. I monitor the insides of the rest of the tubing occasionally. I lube the valves at the beginning of a session, and I lube Amado valves at the end. I clean and grease the inside and outside of the slides occasionally. Out of guilt more than necessity, I wash and scrub out the horn every year and a half or so. The inside of all my horns look like new all the time.

6. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    If you play Sax, the clarinet or the flute you HAVE to the clean through the instrument with a swab.
    Why do we have to? Because condensation left on the inner surface of the instruments will help get cracked and spits and fast corrosion on the wood and metal.
    Why do I know this? Because I played all three instruments for least one year and one of them for 4 years till now.

7. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    How much wood is there in a saxophone? Apart from the reed I mean. I'm all for keeping instruments clean, and think it's a good thing to swab out a saxophone after playing (and I frequently run a snake through my trumpet leadpipe after a session - though not every session) but I wonder just how different is the metal in a sax to that in a trumpet?

(My sister would run a cloth through her silver flute before putting it away too.)

--bumblebee

8. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    I mentioned wood & metal, Wood for clarinet and metal for the sax and flute.

9. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Okay - but I wasn't challenging you on wood in a saxophone -- actually wondered if there's anything around the mouthpiece section which might be polished wood or ebony (or plastic?) -- though I suppose I could use google.

So what remains is the wondering at the necessity to clean/dry out the metal sax (every time)?

--bumblebee

10. MusicianOfTheNight

MusicianOfTheNight Pianissimo User

Jan 24, 2016
    New York/Austria
    When ever I use my silver plated cornet, I always wipe it down with a Polish cloth before putting it away. About every other day I wash off my mouthpiece. Every Sunday, I run a spit ball through my cornet and trumpet. Oil as necessary