After practice/ playing cleaning

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by anthony, Feb 22, 2016.

1. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I do not clean my horn after every time I practice. Is this ideal? Nope. It has, however, been my pattern for a long, long time. I snake out the horn and swab the valves and valve cases every month or so, and I clean a horn immediately after I get over a cold. I'm not one of those guys that let's gunk build up to grotesque levels.

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I do not clean or swab my horns after every play. Once every 4 weeks or so I have a major bath day for the horns being played and they all get a thorough cleaning - inside and out.

I never clean on a concert or rehearsal day.

The beginning of January I cleaned my picc and natural trumpet (they got a lot of use in late November to New Years Eve). The beginning of February, my Bb and C got their bath because of the New Years concerts. I swab my cornetto out after every play.

3. gunshowtickets

gunshowtickets Forte User

Mar 11, 2015
    Tidewater, VA
    Woodwinds have pads on their key, which can be deteriorated by saliva and condensation. Pulling a cloth through a sax/flute/clarinet is much easier than what is required for a thorough trumpet cleaning. At the least, drain all water by pulling the first valve slide and blowing gently with all three valves depressed and bell tilted upward, oil the valves, and put away on a stand when you get home (to avoid stinky cases).

When I got my Harrelson, the recommended weekly maintenance is pulling the main slide, brushing or swabbing the lp and slide, and flushing both with clean, cool water. Yearly "professional" cleaning.
    I'm a little more meticulous with my horns, so they get a deep clean/bath once a month.

[​IMG]

4. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    After a practice, I just blow with the spit valves open, wipe the outside with my soft cloth, and back in the bag. If I have no plan to play it for the rest of the day, then I will put a drop of oil onto each valve before putting the case away.

If I plan to have a gig, I will clean the valves and re-oil them. A couple of drops on each valve before a gig.

A complete strip and bath happens maybe a couple of times a year. I should try to do it more often, but nothing gets grotty. If there is something wrong, it gets fixed immediately. Any horn stored, gets cleaned, dried, lubed and oiled.

Cheers

5. MusicianOfTheNight

MusicianOfTheNight Pianissimo User

Jan 24, 2016
    New York/Austria
    Why do you not clean before a concert? I would think it makes you sound better?

6. Lukarino

Lukarino Pianissimo User

Dec 8, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    The reasoning, at least my reasoning, is that you don't want to change anything about the horn right before you play it publically. Sometimes cleaning out a horn can change how it plays, especially if there was a ton of junk in there before.

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I wipe the bell and valve casings after each play. I do the bath thing every 3 months... and also with my horns... we shower together ya know... but nothing weird!:noway:

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The chance of me dropping a valve, bending a slide, a valve sticking are simply too great. I live by the motto: If you do what you are supposed to when you are supposed to, then you won't have to when you have to!

I do not wait until my horns perform badly to clean them. The sound does not change. Cleaning in my case is protecting the investment!

The best way to keep the horn clean is to brush your teeth and rinse before you play.