After taking a month off from playing?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Passion, Jun 30, 2010.

1. Passion

Passion Pianissimo User

Jun 11, 2009
    Its been a month since ive played. Pretty much didnt feel like practicing, and its summer break. Wanted a month vacation from playing.

Anyways, I gotta practice again cause I have to major in music in order to get my scholarship money.

I dont have money for lessons cause im a bum, lol. Please give me a good routine of how to get back into practicing. I wanna practice about 4 hours a day, so I need a really good routine of how to get back into it. My gets real tired after like 5 minutes, range has decreased.

Also, I plan on backing across Europe next summer with a friend. I certainly am taking mah trumpet, but will I be able to play to make money, or is it illegal and a bad idea? I heard Europeans generally hate American tourists, lol.

2. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    Don't pay attention to anything you hear...

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    You don't need a routine, you need a spanking. :thumbdown:

From 0 to 4 hours? Sounds like a recipe for disaster. 4 hours is something you need time (months) to sensibly work into. Too much too fast just wastes the face. We call this beating up elsewhere.

In any case, the best routine is the one you had before.

Europeans do not hate american tourists. They hate LAZY anything especially tourists that make no effort to speak the local language.

Whether or not you can just start playing somewhere depends on the city. It is legal in some areasThe only way that you will make money is if you are good. It does not sound like you are on track for that

4. hup_d_dup

hup_d_dup Piano User

May 28, 2009
    Tewksbury, NJ, USA
    You had a great opportunity to INCREASE your playing time and threw it away!

I think the scholarship will go to someone with more passion.

5. ltg_trumpet

ltg_trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Jan 21, 2009
    Ouch, much burnage around here. i think plenty of people have had run ins with passion. I just dont understand how you could go a month without playing man. but whatever. who am i to judge, the fact that top line g is probably a strain for you isnt my problem. maybe go listen to some music so you can reignite the passion? i dunno. i have a feeling this is just a BS post to get us talking, cuz if its not, im seriously... just surprised. maybe start with some long tones, work on some chromatic scales, call a baby sitter, i dunno. good luck.

6. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    LTG,
    I am watching it closely. Common sense would have solved the problem before it became one, but that is hard to find in certain areas of the world. If this gets too wild, we always have the lounge.

The idea of taking a month off is something that happens. Depending on how much has become "habit", the road back can vary from 2 to 12 months.

"I'm a bum" tells us how much drive this member has. No worries, the trumpet will have a hard time getting more.

7. jongorrie

jongorrie Pianissimo User

May 9, 2010
    Hi there! I find a great way to get back in shape is to do plenty of breathing exercises, and go through Claude Gordon's Physical Approach book, spending 1 day on each lesson - or even running several lessons each day. It helps me get back in shape in no time!

I live in Europe, and with regards to busking, you may need a permit in some countrĂ­es/cities. Bear in mind that Europe is made up of a lot of countries, cultures, languages, etc. Good music is always appreciated though, no matter where you go!

Have a great time backpacking! :)

8. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    Practice a few short sessions everyday.Slowly start to increase your time when you start feeling stronger. It will take time to get back to where you were before the lay off. You can't get it back by playing for hours at a time right away,it's best to ease back into it.

9. Passion

Passion Pianissimo User

Jun 11, 2009
    Im not going to make any excuses. Ill just explain.

I already received the $32,000 of scholarship money months ago from an audition at the school Im going to. At the other school I auditioned for I got more scholarship money that exceeded the tuition so Id get a refund.

Yeah, really bad decision not to practice. No I did not take a whole month of absolutely not playing at all. I still played rehearsals and a concert and some songs when I felt like it but thats about it this past month.

I NEVER used to practice at all during the summers or school year. Last summer I only did to see how good I could get. I was surprised I could even get scholarship money and stuff. I loved practicing then. And despite how I never practiced trumpet at all at home, last summer I immediately started doing hours a day with no problem and got better. I also switched mouth pieces last summer and still got better, though for awhile I lost so much range and endurance.

Now I just hate practicing and dont even want to major in music anymore. My mom wants me too, which is the only reason I am. It makes sense cause it brings in the money so ill stick with it for these 4 years.

I want to go into a whole other career and this will take up sooo much time, and I really need to study alot and get a job while in college, and want to be apart of the youth group and travel as well.

My sister plays tuba and finds it annoying majoring in music performance and biochemistry at the same time. She doesn't want to major in music either anymore and rarely practices at all during summer, yet shes among the top at her college, and is in Wind Ensemble. Shes like me. Only doing it for the money.

But I guess now I need to be responsible and get back to practicing. My lack of motivation started with a bout of severe clinical depression. Depression used to drive me to be the best, but then I stopped caring and didnt feel any real rewarding feelings from accomplishments which was one of the reasons I stopped playing for awhile. I felt empty and felt it was all worthless and lacked alot of energy and interest in things I once loved doing. Stopped caring about alot of things, and my grades dropped. Concentration went terrible and I often zoned out in class which got me into a bit of trouble. I started sleeping alot during the day and forgot to practice as well quite often. I used to write alot but quit that too. Im now getting back into story writing as well.

I plan on getting my depression treated for, which my Mom cant afford therapy or lessons (my Dad would never allow me to get therapy and doesn't support me getting lessons) and I have tried getting a job numerous times. They offer free therapy in college which I plan on taking. It sort of comes and goes (no, im not bipolar), but I plan on fixing it.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2010
  10. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    So, Passion, now you can maybe get some help.

I think one of the major crimes in trumpet lessons is just practicing. It also made me depressive and I disliked it a lot until we got a new music teacher in high school that changed the way things worked. We established short term goals, I mean stuff that I could accomplish in a week or two. When the goals were met, we got rewards. He called my parents and said that it would be helpful if they saw a note in my book to think up something nice. That could have been going out for a coke or ice cream or me wishing for something that I really liked for dinner or a day with no chores. Not really a monetary investment, but a relationship between achievement and positive response. No results, no reward - but no punishment either.

This concept is how humans work. We learn to walk, read, not pee in our pants, talk, love and smile this way. Need proof, check out any baby at any stage of their development. We can help ourselves stay motivated for the things that help when we establish goals and rewards. Nobody beats up a baby when they are trying to learn to walk (although they do get penned up from time to time........).

Establish small rewards, maybe even for having found an hour a day for a whole week as a start, then for learning a new scale per WEEK, then maybe mastering a really tough slur exercize after a week. Play tunes for anybody that you can. Your mom must have a favorite tune, make her happy - as a reward for what she does for you.

As far as therapy goes, the results/success are based on quite a few things like your ability to see really small stuff as improvements (kind of like learning to play the trumpet). If Double C is the short term goal, we normally LOSE. breaking that up into achievable small achievable tidbits is the beginning of something very special.

So to tie this up: establish goals for every week or two. Create a relationship between achievement and pleasure. Keep the steps small but focussed towards a bigger goal.

We all have tough days. If they get bigger than life, it is impossible to stay focussed without small stuff to hang on to. The trick of the pro is to have the small stuff always available, and enough of it, that we can afford a bad day without losing it.

Calling yourself a bum doesn't help though. I don't believe that we have to return to ground zero to start improving our music and our lives. Most of the time evolution lasts longer than revolution.

So now you got the "spanking" that I mentioned. Start today with a structured search to organizing your success. PM me if you have questions.