Again sticking valves

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by alant, Sep 19, 2011.

1. alant

alant Pianissimo User

Aug 18, 2009
    Rochdale UK
    A have a slight anoying problem that won't go away my bach strad cornet valves stick now and again. it happents to all valves presently it is the first valve. I have cleaned and dried the valves and casing before oiling. It doesnt hapen unless i am playing the cornet and it coems and goes. I have been offered free valve lapping from the respectable technicians that recently refurbished the cornet, however i know there are mixed views on this. Can anyone offer further advice on why the valves may stick or on having the technician look at the valves.

2. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Valves can stick if there is not enough, or too much, clearance between them and the casing. Not enough is due to dirt, damage or distortion; too much is due to wear. They will also stick if there are issues with the springs or guides. If the springs are distorted e.g. from having been stretched, they can collapse to one side and rub on the inside of the spring box. If the guides are brass they may have developed a sharp edge where they rub in the slots of the spring box. If there is too much clearance, especially with monel valves, you may get chatter as the valve returns.

Before you resort to lapping, make sure the valves and the casings are "true" and that there is no chemical buildup on them (has the instrument been chemically or ultrasonically cleaned to remove this scale?). In the wash tub, with no springs or guides, a valve lubricated with soapy water should fall right through the casing. If they can do this, then the issue is with the springs or guides.

These are some of the things a technician will look for.

3. alant

alant Pianissimo User

Aug 18, 2009
    Rochdale UK
    The cornet has been ultrasonically cleaned and the valves do fall straight through in the bath. what should i soak the valves in to get rid of any build up. many thanks for your help.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    We also have bad body use issues. We should push the valves down fairly straight. That involves a slight curl of the fingers. Not pushing the valves with the tips of the fingers can also cause them to bind. New Schilke trumpets will stick if you grip the valveblock too firmly........

5. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    What if any work was done to valves when it was refurbished? Did the valves stick before it was worked on? How do you clean the valves?

6. alant

alant Pianissimo User

Aug 18, 2009
    Rochdale UK
    Bob i have been in touch with the previous owner who is one of the top players in the country and he confirms no previous issues with the valves prior to the refurbishment and sale of the cornet. I cleaned the cornet last night as discribed in your excellent paper you kindly sent me some months ago. I soaked the valves in 1/3 vinegar and 2/3 water solution for 20 mins rinsed off and now i have left everything to dry and wil put back together when i come home from work. I must stress they only stick ocasionally when playing and there has been a gap of 3 weeks when they did not stick. A couple of questions for anyone, how can i tell if the valves are bach originall? and therefore how do i know if the issue may be tight valves as they have been replaced, or that they may be orignal and need a thicker valve oil. Refering back to Rowuks previous comments oil floats on water, as myself and the cornet produce far more water than my trumpet and the fact i am presently hittting Ta Ka Ta Ka as my current practice routine it may be that i have to ensure there is light film of oil in the casing as well as on the valve, how can i do this? Any further comments would be greatly appreciated.

7. catello

catello Pianissimo User

Dec 14, 2009
    Winter Park, FL
    What kind of valve oil are you using? I switched from Al Cass to Hetmans #3 (Classic) on my 30 year old Strad and it cleaned up some minor valve stickiness I was experiencing. Where before I had to oil whenever I started to play, I now oil the valves every few days and they are very responsive.

8. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    +1

9. mrsemman

mrsemman Piano User

Apr 8, 2010
    Massachusetts
    I have had a similar problem with my cornet, but found that it may be caused by a buildup of water (saliva). I discovered that by pulling the second slide off and depressing the second piston, I can empty a great deal of water, before it gets into the first valve casing; and thereby eliminate the sticking problem. I do this frequently and it seems to have controlled the problem.

10. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    I know of a certain trumpet player, who broke (yep, broke) his trumpet during an examination, due to excessively firm grip and probably an excessive pressure too (he was a bodybuilder) :shock: I know, it sounds like a joke, but it really happened (well, you can say that the trumpet was poorly build, or too old, but it was a stock yammie as far as I know...)